Old 10-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #40
Nunyerbiz
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Have any of you played 2k11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
I don't see what's inaccurate about what I said. When American Needle first took the NFL to court, the courts sided with the NFL, and throw out American Needle's case, because they were considered a single entity which rendered them, the NFL, exempt from anti-trust scrutiny.

The Supreme Court ruled, unanimously, that they, the NFL, are 32 separate entities, so they're subject to anti-trust scrutiny. The SCOTUS kicked it back down to the lower courts, but with the understanding that the NFL isn't a single entity.
You are missing the entire subject of the lawsuit. SCOTUS submitted judgement against one specific business deal. SCOTUS did not break the NFL into 32 entities.... nothing of the sort. The only thing they did was state that this particular business deal, and potentially all other joint ventures undertaken by the NFL collective, are subject to scrutiny under the Sherman Act. That's it. End of ruling.

In no way it is accurate to state that the NFL has been busted into 32 seperate entities, because they haven't. The NFL just recently announced rights agreements for Nike to produce all on-field apparel. I didn't hear anything about the Steelers going with Reebok and the Packers going with Adidas because of the SCOTUS ruling.

Why? Because the NFL still exists and it can still negotiate deals as they, and their lawyers, see fit. If Adidas or whoever wants to sue and claim this deal is illegal per the Sherman Act, I'm sure that is within their rights... just like it was within American Needle's rights.

What do I think will happen? EA will continue to have exclusive Madden licenses (the NFL wants it that way). The NFL will pony up the millions of dollars required to settle with American Needle and make them go away. Things will keep on rolling on like nothing ever happened. Not much to see here, much ado about nothing, move along.