Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #275
Deuce2223
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: The Career of Bryan Dodge (NCAA11)

(1-0) VS #12 (1-0)

GAME PREVIEW
The College Gameday crew was onhand in Pullman as the Cougars hosted #12 Missouri in Week 3. The Tigers defeated South Missouri State (FCS) 52-7 in Week 2. Making most believe this game would be a offensive shootout.

GAME RECAP

This game started out liking no one expected as both teams Defense stepped up in the 1st Quarter. Missouri would pick off C. Halliday 2 times, well the Tigers struggled to move the ball behind backup QB T. Gabbert who came in to replace starting QB J. Franklin after he was forced from the game with a back injury. (Tyler Gabbert is the little brother of former Tiger and Heisman winner Blaine Gabbert)

Gabbert would continue to struggle in the 2nd half as throws a "Pick 6" as Casey Locker returns the INT 33 yds for the first score of the game.
The Tigers would rebound quickly though as RB M. Murphy ties the game with a 5 yd run less then a minute later. C. Halliday would also continue to struggle as the throws his 3rd INT setting up another Murphy TD run, with just over 2 minutes to play in the half. Coach Dodge would make bold move benching his starting QB and putting in SO J. Roland. Roland would move the offense down field but on a 3rd an 4 from the 22 yd line, Roland's pass would be tipped as the Tiger "D" gets their 4th INT of the game. Gabbert looking to make the turnover count would take the field looking to put his team into FG range with less then a minute to play. Instead his ball would find the hands of A. Smith (27 yds) as Missouri takes a commanding 21-7 lead into the half.

After throwing 4 INT's in the first half, WSU looked to hold onto the ball as Donte Williams carried the ball 9 times before a pass was attempted. Then it was Williams again scoring on a 10 yd run to make it 21-14. The Cougar "D" would do their part holding the Tigers out of the endozne for the entire half as Mizz kicks 4 FG, but the Tigers "D" showed they too could make plays stopping the Cougars on 4th down forcing a turnover and then with 1:13 to play picking off another Halliday pass (4th INT) and again with 12 seconds to play (5th INT)

FINAL SCORE WSU-17 #12 MIZZ-33

KEY PLAYERS

QB-C. Halliday-14/35 256 yd 5 INT
QB-J. Roland-2/5 29 yd 1 INT
RB-D. Williams-16 carries 59 yds (3.6 avg) 1 TD
RB-R. Mayfield/C. Winston/P. Smith-7 carries 11 yds
WR-B. Ratliff-5 rec 108 yds
WR-M. Wilson-4 rec 45 yds

QB T. Gabbert-11/21 199 yds 1 TD
RB M. Murphy-14 carries 62 yds 2 TD
WR A. Smith-6 rec 124 yds 1 TD
Tiger D-6 INT
PK-M. Williams 4/4 FG

POST GAME INTERVIEW WITH COACH DODGE

Erin Andrews-Coach this was a bigtime game for you and your program. Hosting the #12 team in the nation. Does that make this loss even more disappointing then let's say a loss on the road?

Coach Dodge- I think anytime you get the opportunity to host a Top-25 on your own turf it's a big deal, so yeah when we lose the game like we did it's very disappointing.

EA-Coach in Week 1 you ran the ball very well. What kept you from using that same gameplan today?

CD-I don't feel like we did. We tried running the ball, but the Tigers "D" was ready then when we had to go to the air, they did a excellent job of disguising their coverage and creating INT's.

EA-Coach Conner Halliday threw 3 INT's in the 1st half which led to his benching. However you put him back in to start the 2nd half. Why?

CD-I felt like Conner was pressing to much. I felt like taking a series off would allow him to settle down and realize the entire team and myself are behind him.

EA-After his 4th INT in the 2nd half, why didn't you go back to Roland on the last series?

CD-Again because Conner his our leader and starting QB. He has the stronger of the 2 arms and I felt like if we were going to beat the Tigers "D" deep he was our best bet.

EA-So after his 5 INT performance are you saying he is your clearcut starter next week against #22 UCLA?

CD-Of course. We are going to continue to stick with our gameplan, working on balancing out our offense by getting all 4 RB's carries as well as throwing in J. Roland on a series here and there to get different looks.

EA-Okay Coach, well good luck with your game next week against the Bruins.

Advertisements - Register to remove