View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #399
ParisB
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: The Purist(s) NBA 2K11 Sliders (Post-Patch)

Just a general question for you guys. I am posting in here because I appreciate greeniblue's dedication in the lab and I can tell he has a good eye for basketball in the real world and how it's translated into video games (not just looking at end game stats, but how they get there). I'd like to see his input.

Anyway...

How many games do you guys play before making a slider adjustments based on statistical output?

How many games do you guys play before making slider adjustments based on the "feel" (tendencies, animations etc.)

At what point is a slider tweak from a value of 36 to a 37 is justified? How do we know that what we are seeing isn't placebo, or a variation of MULTIPLE things affecting it...from the dice roll of animations, player attributes, ratings etc. It's not like we can play in a vaccum and isolate individual sliders and test them repeatedly in the EXACT situation. Can we honestly say there's a difference between Clutch Factor at 3 or at 9? Or Help Defense at 78 as opposed to 79? Do we use elite defensive teams over and over to get to that conclusion? and against what opponent?

I find the game plays slightly different from game to game, yet most of us tweak multiple sliders here and there after a game or two, throwing in different variables all at once.

Also, the Lakers in real life recently went through a 5-6 stretch against mediocre and subpar teams. Their offense was struggling, their defense was lapsing, they played fatigued and looked vulnerable without Bynum/Ratliff. Anyway, can you imagine if this happened in 2k11? We would be going crazy with slider tweaks, especially if it was on Pro (lol). I'm just saying, I see a lot of people posting game stat results and over analyzing...

Just browsing in last night's boxscores in the NBA, I saw a team grab 4 offensive rebounds, Minnesota grabbed 21. I saw Memphis attempt 5 three pointers, while Houston attempted like 25. I saw the Clippers shoot something like 12 free throws all game, while Denver had near 40. I saw Charlotte go something like 2-15 from down town while Miami was 10-18. Do we bump down 3-point success or bump it up if we had a game like that in 2k11?

I'm just curious how you guys are coming to certain conclusions. I see it in multiple threads, people posting completely different sliders and everyone that tries them say how amazing they are. If I didn't know any better, I would think that out of the box settings are the worst...