View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #819
greenieblue
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: The Purist(s) NBA 2K11 Sliders (Post-Patch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfAk47
Greenie,

One thought on a possible "workaround". Create a spreadsheet with the # draft pick in column A and a bunch of potential edits in column B (i.e., -15 to +15 or something - you can probably figure out a better group of numbers than I can) and then =rand() in column C. Then sort by column C and edit potentials for each of the draft picks based on the "roll of the dice". A little time consuming, but that hasn't stopped you before This would all be done after the draft so as not to impact the CPU's picks (or your own for that matter).

Anyway, just a thought...
It's not a bad idea at all (and now I understand the Rand function, lol). But, since Manu Ginobli's happen once every 3 years max, the mathematics would have to be some upper level ****. Considering that the highest level of math (including Science, excluding that horrible deception that is Logic) I've had is Algebra II, it would be a challenge.

And, although, I welcome a challenge-- since I really only find Phil and Math challenging, probably because I'm deeply interested in the one that is necessarily esoteric and deeply undertrained in the other-- I need to be able to justify it to myself somehow. I don't mind diving into the mathematics sandbox for the hell of it, but one of the things I'm slowly learning about 2k (and pretty much all video games, on the user end, at least) is that it is useless to do so, except for the doing so to do so.

Every brain storm-- that I would be able to figure out what formula 2k used to calculate shot tendency for individual players by taking LBJ and his 99/his 20 FGA from last year, amongst other players-- turns out to be a dead end.

It was fun (strangely), but it's pretty much over.

I'm not saying that 2k doesn't know what they are doing, I think they do the best job of laying as many tools on top of a game as anyone, but there is almost no coherence. And, when you look at stats (except the easy to manipulate end result stats), it seems like they haven't.

Plus, the give no indication of what the hell a 99 is-- to me it just seems like, I want this to happen a lot formula.

That said, there really is no comparison to 2k short of OOTP baseball. I don't even feel the need to explain why. I just wish they would design sliders and tendencies to be more cohesive and integrated. Right now, it feels like it's just a bunch of ineffective and confused math problems that argue with one another.

Or maybe it's just my failure.

Not that you asked. Lol.