Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #213
dunnyduns
MVP

dunnyduns's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: 2010-11 BIG TEN Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
I have the exact same worries about Hummel. We'll see this coming season. I would be saddened, but not shocked, if he didn't play basketball again.

Replacing Moore's production will be quite difficult. While Hummel may be a better all-around player when healthy, Moore has led the team in scoring every year except this year. He's become a masterful distributor of the ball this year, something he didn't show as much in past years. His improvement has been huge, not so far behind JaJuan's.

I agree on JaJuan. No player on Purdue will produce next year like JaJuan Johnson is this year. I'm sure of that. Looking at the upcoming classes, Purdue may not have another player like him in the post for a long time. He's the reason Purdue is a possible Final Four team.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year. Expectations will be low, going from a possible Final Four team this year to more around a 15-25 team with Hummel. I don't expect anyone to be able to replace JaJuan or E'Twaun, but no one on the team now is like Hummel when he's healthy. Of course, this year I had low expectations going into the season and that's really flown in my face so I've learned not to discount my team.

A few years from now our roles could be reversed if you look at what IU has coming in on the pipeline. I know I'm a little critical of Crean, but I don't think he's a bad coach. I'd tend to agree with you that this year is more a result of misfortune than anything else.
I didn't exactly word it well when I was saying Moore production should be easy to replace. It won't be easy for Purdue to replace Moore either but, I meant it in terms of easier to replace his production than it would Johnson's. Purdue has some players in place who should be able to lessen the impact of Moore being gone next unlike with Johnson. Plus, it's usually always easier to replace the production of a guard than a center/forward type of player.

As you said, Purdue will be interesting to watch next year. With the return of Hummel and seeing what level of play he can produce and how the rest of the players improve over the summer. I don't think anyone can predict just how Purdue will do next year because there are so many different variables coming into play that could make Purdue a good team or a team that could possibly struggle next year. I don't think Purdue fans should worry too much though because if I were a Purdue fan I would have complete trust in Painter for future.