Home

2010-11 BIG TEN Thread

This is a discussion on 2010-11 BIG TEN Thread within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #209
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: 2010-11 BIG TEN Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
It's just the impression I get from him. There are some pluses to this season, but overall not much better than the last. Never meant to say no progress, I did say "almost no progress" instead of "no progress". My friend literally characterized it as "marginal progress". I don't really see a difference, but maybe you do.

As for your comment on Purdue that's probably accurate. I'd say Lewis Jackson is developing and may be able to be a premier player next year, but overall Johnson and Moore are the only ones that show up every night. Everyone else is a role player, at least this year. As for next season, Hummel will be coming back so I think the team will remain in contention for a Big Ten title. I'd also say that Terone Johnson may be able to make up for some of E'Twaun's production, but hasn't really shown it consistently his freshman year. Without Hummel, Purdue probably becomes a bubble/NIT team. I'd never write off your opinion because you don't watch all of our games, though.

On another note, with tOSU losing at Purdue and Wisconsin and slapping both teams at home, I'm interested to see what everyone does on a neutral site in the Big Ten Tourney.
I hope E'Twaun gives him some of his intensity and passion for the game. I really like Terone, he looks like a smaller version of E'Twaun, and he has a little more hair too haha... I really think he could be a threat if he gets E'twaun's intensity, and the driving skills of Lewis Jackson, not to mention the 3-point shooting of Hummel.

What I'd love to see next year is Ryne, D.J. and of course Robbie nailing bombs from the 3-point line, while Lewis and Terone drive and kick it out to them. I'd also love to see Carroll become more of a threat in the post, but I doubt that will happen in one year. I think if Carroll is going to be a threat, it'll be his junior and senior years.
James Naismith visited an Indiana basketball state finals game along with 15,000 screaming fans and later wrote, that while it was invented in Massachusetts, "basketball really had its origin in Indiana, which remains the center of the sport."
Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #210
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdude2004
I hope E'Twaun gives him some of his intensity and passion for the game. I really like Terone, he looks like a smaller version of E'Twaun, and he has a little more hair too haha... I really think he could be a threat if he gets E'twaun's intensity, and the driving skills of Lewis Jackson, not to mention the 3-point shooting of Hummel.

What I'd love to see next year is Ryne, D.J. and of course Robbie nailing bombs from the 3-point line, while Lewis and Terone drive and kick it out to them. I'd also love to see Carroll become more of a threat in the post, but I doubt that will happen in one year. I think if Carroll is going to be a threat, it'll be his junior and senior years.
Starting lineup next year is probably going to be tiny. Hummel, Smith, Jackson, Byrd, and Johnson is what I'd guess right now, with Carroll possibly beating out Johnson. The team probably needs Carroll to start over Johnson. It will be interesting to see what Carroll does with a full offseason to work with the coaching staff.

I don't see Terone as much of a driver at the moment. He's flashed more as a post-up guy (at least in the preseason) and a jump shooter than someone who can drive into the lane.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #211
MVP

dunnyduns's Arena

OVR: 11

With Hummel I'd be worried that after 2 knee injuries is that he's not quite the same player he was before the injuries. One thing that won't change though post injury is he's leadership and that will really help Purdue next year with the losses from this year's team.

Replacing Moore's production shouldn't be hard to replace next year with as you mentioned Terone Jackson looking to be a solid player. I'm still surprised Purdue didn't land Branden Dawson in recruiting though as he would have helped Purdue fill the talent void left by Moore, Johnson, and eventually Hummel. Dawson being from the region I was definitely surprised that he chose MSU. Then you look at how both Purdue and MSU have performed this season and it's even more surprising to me.

JuJuan Johnson's production is going to be extremely hard to replace though. Johnson's the type of the player that doesn't come along to a program very often. I know you guys got Carroll and Bade for bigs but, I'm not sure what else Purdue has next year in the post but, those guys have some big shoes to fill in replacing Johnson.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #212
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnyduns
With Hummel I'd be worried that after 2 knee injuries is that he's not quite the same player he was before the injuries. One thing that won't change though post injury is he's leadership and that will really help Purdue next year with the losses from this year's team.

Replacing Moore's production shouldn't be hard to replace next year with as you mentioned Terone Jackson looking to be a solid player. I'm still surprised Purdue didn't land Branden Dawson in recruiting though as he would have helped Purdue fill the talent void left by Moore, Johnson, and eventually Hummel. Dawson being from the region I was definitely surprised that he chose MSU. Then you look at how both Purdue and MSU have performed this season and it's even more surprising to me.

JuJuan Johnson's production is going to be extremely hard to replace though. Johnson's the type of the player that doesn't come along to a program very often. I know you guys got Carroll and Bade for bigs but, I'm not sure what else Purdue has next year in the post but, those guys have some big shoes to fill in replacing Johnson.
I have the exact same worries about Hummel. We'll see this coming season. I would be saddened, but not shocked, if he didn't play basketball again.

Replacing Moore's production will be quite difficult. While Hummel may be a better all-around player when healthy, Moore has led the team in scoring every year except this year. He's become a masterful distributor of the ball this year, something he didn't show as much in past years. His improvement has been huge, not so far behind JaJuan's.

I agree on JaJuan. No player on Purdue will produce next year like JaJuan Johnson is this year. I'm sure of that. Looking at the upcoming classes, Purdue may not have another player like him in the post for a long time. He's the reason Purdue is a possible Final Four team.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year. Expectations will be low, going from a possible Final Four team this year to more around a 15-25 team with Hummel. I don't expect anyone to be able to replace JaJuan or E'Twaun, but no one on the team now is like Hummel when he's healthy. Of course, this year I had low expectations going into the season and that's really flown in my face so I've learned not to discount my team.

A few years from now our roles could be reversed if you look at what IU has coming in on the pipeline. I know I'm a little critical of Crean, but I don't think he's a bad coach. I'd tend to agree with you that this year is more a result of misfortune than anything else.
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #213
MVP

dunnyduns's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
I have the exact same worries about Hummel. We'll see this coming season. I would be saddened, but not shocked, if he didn't play basketball again.

Replacing Moore's production will be quite difficult. While Hummel may be a better all-around player when healthy, Moore has led the team in scoring every year except this year. He's become a masterful distributor of the ball this year, something he didn't show as much in past years. His improvement has been huge, not so far behind JaJuan's.

I agree on JaJuan. No player on Purdue will produce next year like JaJuan Johnson is this year. I'm sure of that. Looking at the upcoming classes, Purdue may not have another player like him in the post for a long time. He's the reason Purdue is a possible Final Four team.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year. Expectations will be low, going from a possible Final Four team this year to more around a 15-25 team with Hummel. I don't expect anyone to be able to replace JaJuan or E'Twaun, but no one on the team now is like Hummel when he's healthy. Of course, this year I had low expectations going into the season and that's really flown in my face so I've learned not to discount my team.

A few years from now our roles could be reversed if you look at what IU has coming in on the pipeline. I know I'm a little critical of Crean, but I don't think he's a bad coach. I'd tend to agree with you that this year is more a result of misfortune than anything else.
I didn't exactly word it well when I was saying Moore production should be easy to replace. It won't be easy for Purdue to replace Moore either but, I meant it in terms of easier to replace his production than it would Johnson's. Purdue has some players in place who should be able to lessen the impact of Moore being gone next unlike with Johnson. Plus, it's usually always easier to replace the production of a guard than a center/forward type of player.

As you said, Purdue will be interesting to watch next year. With the return of Hummel and seeing what level of play he can produce and how the rest of the players improve over the summer. I don't think anyone can predict just how Purdue will do next year because there are so many different variables coming into play that could make Purdue a good team or a team that could possibly struggle next year. I don't think Purdue fans should worry too much though because if I were a Purdue fan I would have complete trust in Painter for future.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #214
Pro

Quote:
Starting lineup next year is probably going to be tiny. Hummel, Smith, Jackson, Byrd, and Johnson is what I'd guess right now, with Carroll possibly beating out Johnson. The team probably needs Carroll to start over Johnson. It will be interesting to see what Carroll does with a full offseason to work with the coaching staff.

I don't see Terone as much of a driver at the moment. He's flashed more as a post-up guy (at least in the preseason) and a jump shooter than someone who can drive into the lane.
Isn't Hummel the tallest in this group??? Who would be the center?? I'm going to put my line up like this:

PG- Lewis Jackson
SG- Terone Johnson
SF- D.J. Byrd
PF- Robbie Hummel
C- Travis Carroll

Also, don't you dare forget Kelsey Barlow! lol

And to clear me up, I didn't mean that after one year Terone would be charging through the middle like Lewis Jackson, I just meant, I hope maybe the older players can teach the younger players how to do things. You know, JaJuan teach Travis how to be more of a threat on offense and defense, kind of like how Lewis Jackson said he picked up his defense by learning from Kramer.
James Naismith visited an Indiana basketball state finals game along with 15,000 screaming fans and later wrote, that while it was invented in Massachusetts, "basketball really had its origin in Indiana, which remains the center of the sport."
Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #215
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdude2004
Isn't Hummel the tallest in this group??? Who would be the center?? I'm going to put my line up like this:

PG- Lewis Jackson
SG- Terone Johnson
SF- D.J. Byrd
PF- Robbie Hummel
C- Travis Carroll

Also, don't you dare forget Kelsey Barlow! lol

And to clear me up, I didn't mean that after one year Terone would be charging through the middle like Lewis Jackson, I just meant, I hope maybe the older players can teach the younger players how to do things. You know, JaJuan teach Travis how to be more of a threat on offense and defense, kind of like how Lewis Jackson said he picked up his defense by learning from Kramer.
Carroll and Marcius will be the only centers on the roster, but you have to play your best players and I don't know if Carroll will be one of Painter's best 5 next year. Right now Smith is simply a better player.

Lots of schools don't play centers or three "true" forwards. Right now it doesn't look like Purdue will have the roster to next year. Carroll, if he develops on the track of a normal big guy, will probably be top 5 in minutes his junior and senior years.

Last edited by lonewolf371; 03-08-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #216
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnyduns

This will probably be the only time I agree with an IU fan... It's like when he hurt his back, he was kind of off on shooting. I think he'll be alright, but we'll see. Yes, JaJuan is going to be tough to replace, but Painter is going to beat up on Carroll and Marcius.. Plus we'll have the guys we recruited coming in, and who knows how they'll play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »