View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
chrishthomas
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: A No-No during a "No-No"

I'll lead off with this caveat...seeing it done in this game would be very frustrating because drag bunts especially those fielded by the catcher on the 3rd base side are virtually impossible to defend due to the slow plant-turn-and-throw catcher animation. However...

All things being equal...perfectly legitimate move, especially if the game is still close. If it is a blow out, and getting a runner on (or even scoring a run) won't really make a difference, then it's a bit iffy. But, bottom line, these guys are professionals, it is their job to get on base and help their team win. If I think I can beat out a bunt, I'm laying it down. If you are pitching and you know I'm capable of doing it, then get your third baseman playing in.

This topic comes up a lot in discussions about no-hitters and baseball etiquette. Nolan Ryan was known to be a curmudgeon when it came to this, and thought it was particularly disrespectful. However, Jim Palmer, Goose Gossage, and Bert Blyleven were on an ESPN forum once and all echoed my remarks above.

Gossage went so far as to say, "Usually a no-hitter is a tight ballgame, and they're trying to beat you. You need baserunners, and I can't blame the opposition for trying to get on base. If the game is out of reach, then it's a different story. I would take offense to that. I'd drill the SOB. 'If you want to get on base, here, I'll put you on base.' ''

No-hitters are special feats...think about the Sunday afternoon dinner conversation at the Crandall's house back in 1918, when Doc's no-hitter bid for the Los Angeles Angels was broken up with two outs in the 9th by his brother Karl. Granted it was a sharp single, not a bunt, but if your own brother won't lay down and give it you, don't expect anyone else to either.

Last edited by chrishthomas; 04-22-2011 at 12:12 PM.