Thread: 3D
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Blzer
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: 3D

Playing in 3D as we speak, and I will bite my tongue about the hitting because I found that the camera angle is the selling point of making 3D stand out the best/most prominently.

I've always said this about 3D movies as well: if your camera angle has a small DOF and you apply too much focus (blurring what's not being featured), the 3D effect is minimalized. The purpose of 3D is to give you the sense that you're basically looking through a window, and if you don't apply the proper DOF for and focus everything (as well as the zoom, etc.), you're basically caught in a crossfire with having an effect for the effect's sake, as opposed to giving it real purpose.

That said, I created myself a batting view similarish to the old Genesis World Series Baseball video games, meanwhile giving it a slight offset (from the batter's perspective) and with enough downward angle to see the plate. Although you don't get to enjoy the look of the stadium and the batting stances as much, it's incredibly easy to determine balls and strikes (in a good way, like it feels natural). Also, with this view and 3D enabled, upping the pitch speed is awesome, because it feels much more lifelike.

Just food for thought. I'll post a pic of the view later when I'm done with this game.

EDIT: However, I get a lot of crosstalk when playing this game. I don't know whether to blame the TV or the game's 3D, but when you go further into the screen, it tends to show up a lot.

EDIT 2: Here's that view I'm using for 3D...

Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 11-24-2011 at 02:28 PM.