View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #332
-CoL-
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Realistic Rosters/Sliders/Coaching Tendencies *Complete Overhaul*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
No matter what you do, the blocks leader will only get around 2.5 blocks per game. I could expand the scale (the one I use now is more historically accurate) and may for a future release of the roster. I may end up with two different rosters, one rated for use with classic players in an association and one rated just for current players.

For the 3pt %, it's statistical variance. A player with a 99 3pt rating will vary between 47-53% from that distance. Same with any rating in any category, including steals. It allows for some dynamic stats in simulations, which is good, because nobody averages the same exact numbers from year to year.

I see, I guess ill just manually move down a lil bit the 3pt ratings of a couple of guys to get more realistic numbers, same with steals.

With the blocks tho, It's not really the way you rated their block rating, I editted a few guys (Deandre, Howard, Bogut, Chandler) and gave them 99 vertical, 99 awareness, 99 blocking just to test the results, simmed 5 times (restarting every time on the 2012 seasons so they wouldnt get older/slower) and the league leaders had 1.8-1.9 blocks per game. I would be happy if I was getting the 2.5 blocks per game for the league leader that you mention. Any ideas of anything that could affect this? foul sliders? contact?, before I give up.
It's weird cause it seems like there's some hidden walls preventing to reach some statistics no matter how you tweak, for example I editted Kevin Love's stamina, rebounding, awareness, vertical, to 99, his minutes in rotations to max, rebounding sliders to max, just to test. simmed several seasons, could never get him to average over 11 rebounds per game, or play >33 minutes

On a final note, I saw the doc where you explained how you rated most categories, I'm impressed and appreciate you took the time to transfer those advanced stats from Hoopdata, and basketball reference. I also noticed you mention on the defense and post defense ratings that you did them subjectively for lack of a better source; I don't know if you are aware of it but if you ever wanted to, you could check http://www.mysynergysports.com/ it gives objective statistics about defense split into different categories, you can see how many points per possession anyone gives overall, or defending post plays, isos, etc. and their overall rank in that category compared to everyone else in the league (for offense too).

Last edited by -CoL-; 01-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.