View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #27
TheTodd84
Rookie

OVR: 12
I tend to agree with most people on here about this issue. But here is the thing... 2k was a victim of their own mistakes. When you have such a huge player like EA out there, and you are not close in terms of resources and staying power, then you have very little margin for error. Every decision you make must be a good one, or you risk losing everything. We are seeing that come to fruition today. 2k didn't make a bad decision to try and make all-pro 2k8, they just didn't put forth their best effort. And those things simply cannot happen with such little margin for error. I know it is crazy to ask them to make huge strides with nba 2k every single year, but again, with no margin for error, that has to be the case. Especially since EA will be rejoining the basketball market again soon, and if 2k slips up even a little bit, it's all over for them. Yes, that is a lot of pressure on them, but that's the nature of the beast.

The same theme can be said the for the NHL 2k series. Bad decisions followed by sub-par execution led to the demise. EA can afford, literally, to not execute well, 2k cannot. That's ultimately what did them in.

I dunno about the NCAA football licensing or the game, but 2k really does have a serious opportunity there. And again, it would be ill-advised to not try and pull out all the stops to at least garner some sort of license for a college football game. Maybe the NCAA wants it to be exclusive, I don't know. But, I did hear a rumor that NCAA 2013 may be the last iteration of the series and EA might be getting out of college football. Should that be the case, then 2k would be stupid to not try and take advantage.

Anyway, you get my point. When you have little margin for error, mistakes are magnified, ask any double-digit underdog in sports in a big game.