Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Canada_Carlos_Ball
Rookie

OVR: 4
Arsenal 2, QPR 1

Gunners Pull It Out
Wenger sent off, Arsenal manager-less for second half
Oct. 27th/'12

In what was an unbelievably crazy match, QPR lost 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium against Arsenal, with Santi Cazorla's 89th minute goal being the difference.

The game started off well for the visitors from across town, as Samba Diakité found the back of the net on a powerful strike from well outside the 18-yard box. 8 minutes in, and QPR had a shock 1-nil lead.

Arsenal would pull even within five minutes however, as in the 13th minute, Lukas Podolski was fed a through ball from Santi Cazorla, and Podolski curled a shot past Julio Cesar to tie the match at 1.

The teams went into halftime with the score at 1-1, when an awkward moment took place.

As he was walking down the tunnel, Arsene Wenger apparently heard someone call him a foul name in french. Wenger, in response, shoved the nearest QPR coach, which happened to be manager Verde. Verde reportedly fell down the remaining steps of the tunnel, and quickly got up to take an awkward swing at Wenger (which missed).

Post-game, Wenger apologized, saying Verde probably wasn't the one who insulted him.

The match was back-and-forth for most of the 2nd half, with Junior Hoilett and Djibril Cissé both missing glorious opportunities for QPR while Lukas Podolski struck the crossbar with a long-range effort in the 71st minute for the Gunners.

Santi Cazorla put the hosts up for good in the 89th minute on a fantastic free kick, which nicked off the post before hitting the back of the net past a helpless Julio César to put the Gunners in the lead for good.

"I felt that the incident at halftime really overshadowed the game, I mean I was assaulted....but regardless, the match was a bit of a disappointment because we had a lead early, and could've easily gotten a point from this match, maybe even three with a little luck. Still, Arsenal sit at the top of the table right now and they're obviously a world-class club, so there's no shame in bowing out to them late in a match. The boys played well, and the marathon of matches here is almost over, we've just got one more at the Britannia Stadium against Stoke in three days' time, and then we'll get five days off. The boys need some rest."

(Wins-Draws-Losses-Points)
Arsenal (7-1-1-22), 1st place
QPR (4-3-3-15), 8th place

Currently: Ottawa Senators (NHL 2003)