View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
wwharton
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
And on that same token, he was also credited(or being credited)as being the only guy at the time who could guard Dwight Howard with no help and that was considered a big deal then so it wasn't out of the norm to suggest that he could do the same against Gasol and Bynum when he just did it against the best C in the league.
At that time fans/media ignored, weren't aware of overestimated Dwight's low post "skills" or lack there of. You really just needed a big guy who wouldn't get muscled deep in the paint to guard him straight up. Today's nba doesn't have many of them worth getting time. But that's very different than guarding skilled guys like Gasol and Bynum. Perkins is a good defender, but not as good as he was made out to be bc of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
I'll just agree to disagree. Good role players (the Shane Battiers of the league) top my personal list of unsung/under appreciated guys.
If you consider good role players under rated then we don't really disagree. I feel Perkins was hyped beyond the "good role player" level so can't consider him underappreciated considering that. I think Battier is a perfect name for this discussion.

Last edited by wwharton; 03-13-2013 at 11:13 AM.