View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #511
qpc123
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: Tempo-Freelance-RunPlays

@bigtrey, I am now understanding your explanation of Attack the Basket and Pass Out.

I'll break it down to make sure I got you right and in case anyone else wasn't getting it either.

Attack the Basket and Pass Out are two completely different tendencies.

I thinking of it this way(helps to put yourself in the mind of the player).

So, as the player I have the ball, now what? Well I have three choices, I can shoot, I can try to score myself(drive), or I can pass the ball to a teammate.

Now you have to decide what kind of player you are. A scorer, a pass first point guard, spot up shooter, etc.

Let's say I am a scorer for the first example. I am going to want to attack, so I need to have a fairly high tendency to do so.

The Attack the Basket tendency slider effects the frequency in which you make the choice to drive, perhaps a better description of this slider would be "Offensive Aggression". I do not think this slider much effect on what the player does after this decision. I tend to think of it as an "if/then scenario."

Do I have the ball? - Yes
Do I want to attempt to score? - Yes
Do I want to shoot right now? - NO
Do I want to drive - Yes?

Pass Out works in a similar manner and may have more of an effect on what the player does if he decides to attack.

Let's pick up where I was with the "if/then" where the ball has decided to drive.

Am I going to get a shot off this drive? - This is where I think Pass Out starts to kick in
If yes, then shoot(lay-up, dunk, pull up J)
If no, then pass out

The lower the Pass Out slider the more likely the player is the think, "hey I got a lane I'm gonna score" even if the defense is a position to get a possible stop. From there ratings take over to decide the players success based off the shot type he chose.

The higher the Pass Out the more likely a player is to give up a contested shot for a better look from a teammate.

So, how are we to set these?

For guards and forwards(and some rare faceup bigs) slimm's ATB=Inside shot tend. PO=Pass rating works pretty well.

For Bigs, this is where I am having issues.

I'll use Manute Bol as my example:
ATB=0
PO=75

I have seen this happen a lot with the 0,75 setting. But you have said 50 makes them too indecisive. There must a sweet spot in the middle.
Advertisements - Register to remove