View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
drunkenferret
MVP

drunkenferret's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: FIFA 14 Impressions

Online play (Ultimate Team especially) is vastly different from offline play for obvious reasons, unfortunately. Serious footy fans play both offline and online, but serious simulation players only play offline, and so that is where you find your most realistic games. Ultimate Team is never going to be serious sim, because most UT players don't want a sim, and so pace rules. The only time pace matters offline is on the counter if a brilliant thruball is fed through to a pacey attacker, and even then the defense begins to close, but with the right positioning you can get shots off before they get you. Believe me I used to exploit pace, but now it does not matter near so much because it gives you less control.

Offline the game is becoming a dream of simulation, and I am seeing none of the problems you guys are seeing online. I play World Class, slow speed, 15 minute halves, adjusted sliders. I am getting games similar to ones I watch every week in the EPL. Are my defenders perfect, hell no, but usually take control. I rarely give up more than a goal in a match, and lat night I had a match where the CPU had 18 shots on goal, and I kept a clean sheet! Defense is about marking, if you shadow the dribbler then can call a teammate to pressure him. When I give up goals it is either because I was stupid, or my one only real pet peeve on defense concerning balls over the top catching defenders standing still, which is still a small concern at times.

Example: Players Spurs last night with Chelsea..some stats on 15 minute halves:

Final Score: Chelsea-4 Spurs-0

Total Shots: Chelsea-13 Spurs-18
On Target: Chelsea-9 Spurs-8
Tackles: Chelsea-21 Spurs-22
Possession: Chelsea-49% Spurs-51%
Pass %: Chelsea-79% Spurs-81%
Fouls: Chelsea-3 Spurs-4
Corners: Chelsea-5 Spurs-4
Yellows: Chelsea-0 Spurs-1
Reds: 0

In the end, because I don't play other humans much I don't know how good I really am. Haven't played UT since 2012 when my record was about .500. Couldn't stand playing people who simply won by gaming the system, exploiting the glitches in the game. I'm almost 39, and if the CPU ai can give me a proper or near proper game of football then I'm more than happy with it. Is FIFA 14 perfect...no, but it seems much better than any of the previous incarnations of both FIFA and PES.

The only negative in my mind at the moment is that I now have to play 15min halves to get realistic results, which means it will take me longer to get through a season than in years past, but that's an issue I'm willing to deal with.