View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
strawberryshortcake
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NBA 2k14 how do you guys feel about ball handling/passing this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
I found a used copy of 2k14 so i figured "why not let's see if it's as good as people say." I gotta say, the game could be great, but the semi "live" ball physics and ball handling and passing seem terrible this year. I've lost the ball and caused players to lose the ball WAAAY too easily this year. Doesn't matter if it's chris paul or dwight howard handling the ball, it's way to easy to lose it. Why is the ball so hyper reactive to everything? I've had so many times where i see someone get the ball stolen or lose the ball just because the back of a players hand barely grazes the ball(they aren't even going for a steal). That doesn't happen in the NBA like that, players keep a tighter handle on the ball.

Why is the ball stolen so much in weird/stupid ways? I've had several times where i'm dribbling the ball and low and behold one of my teammates just runs in front of me and knocks the ball out of my hands by just running into it? WTF is that? This is the same problem 2k12 had. The ball reacts mroe like a tennis ball then a basketball the way it goes flying anyway at the slightest touch.

Also, there are too many unforced turnovers with passing and still more unnecessary animations where a player can't make a clean catch on an easy pass when he's wide open and fumbles around with the ball for no reason. I also see players regularly throw a pass out of bounds on an easy inbound pass, and there are a lot of easy passes that just end up nowhere near the target,even with pass accuracy bumped up to 70 for the user and CPU it still happens a lot.

I realize that people make bad passes in the nba at times, but it doesn't happen the way it does in this game. Put it this way, check out this video of boozer making a terrible pass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a3jVwIh-8g

There's a reason the announcers react to like that to the pass being so bad and a reason it's a big deal, because bad passes like that aren't that common. Yet in this game i'd wager i see a pastis like that by somebody at least once a game.
NBA 2K should go completely with full live ball physics.

People looking for a "physics" based game, but turn around and say there's too much physics implemented. As the saying goes, "you can't have your cake and eat it too." Physics is an all or nothing phenomenon. What you're asking for is "selective physics." That is not how physics work.

So you're losing the ball when you dribble into someone because the ball grazes that someone's body part. Yes, that's how physics (collision detection works). When two objects collide, momentum alters for those two objects. Solution: Don't force your way into traffic.

Edit: plus, even though I don't develop games, I would imagine coding for selective physics is much, much more difficult. Selective physics is not realistic simulation.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 10-28-2013 at 12:16 PM.