View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #64
razorkaos
MVP

razorkaos's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Will People Adjust to the Pocket in Next-Gen Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef
I think when you boot up the game, it should ask something like: "Are you a casual gamer? Or hardcore football simulation guy?" It would then be set for "Arcade" or "Sim." (obviously, you could change this setting at any time). And then the game should play VERY differently on the different settings. Arcade would have less penalties, be easier to pick up and play (default to Gameflow play calling), have a faster game speed, all players would have crazy end zone celebrations, there would be less injuries, etc, etc. "Sim" would have realistic # and occurrences of penalties and injuries, slower game speed, realistic pocket, more realistic stats, etc. etc. There is no reason they couldn't get the game to work for both audiences.

They may even have this setting already (I haven't played Madden in a few years), but the difference b/w an "Arcade" type mode and "Sim" should be very noticeable.. so they could cater to both crowds.. that is my point.

All that being said, I'm very excited for this year's Madden. I like some of the steps they've taken to try to improve the gameplay.

[EDIT: Big FN Deal is right on. Beat me to it.]
There is a big problem here. Most casuals think they are hardcore, just because they play 300+ games a year, so they would choose the hardcore option. I see this from another perspective. I know its a different game, but the audience has more or less the same mindset. A massive part of the FIFA community believe they are hardcore FIFA players, including those players on the first 100 positions in the rakings and the guys who play the FIWC. But in reality, they keep playing with assisted controls, cheesing, exploiting the games flaws, and they often don't care about realism, cause most of them don't even know how the sport is. And the similarity can be extended to other games, like BF (cheaters everywhere), COD, NBA2K (3 pointers should not fall that easy, and people exploit it everytime) and why not, Madden. Like in FIFA, the so called hardcore players (not the real ones, i'm talking about the cheesers and AI exploiters) will keep abusing the QB sneak on the 1yd line that ALWAYS result in a TD, and every exploit or glitch they can.

If we had an option to make the game more sim or more arcade, as you said, believe me, a lot of people would choose the hardcore option, and they would get frustrated with the game, and guess what will happen? As they did with FIFA, they will storm the official forums with the old talk about how the game is broken and how they will never buy a Madden game again. And what the guys on EA will do? Yes, they will soften the game, we will see more "accessibility" and our dreams of a realistic game are gone.