Home

Will People Adjust to the Pocket in Next-Gen Madden?

This is a discussion on Will People Adjust to the Pocket in Next-Gen Madden? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Will People Adust to the Pocket in Next-Gen Madden?

I predict they will pick a fast QB, spring towards the sideline and abuse legacy coverage issues down the field. You know, the usual.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #58
Creative Director Madden

RexDEAFootball's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfriendlyghst
IMO, This is just a graphical update and not a mechanical one. I think the pocket is being formed artificially and that it has no bearing on the gameplay.
I can assure all of you the new pocket collapse system has a direct and immediate impact on gameplay.

Here are a just a few of the ways it changes the game:

1) It is now critical to read blitzes pre-snap, as slide protection is now a big component of protecting yourself against the blitz.

2) With 5 man protection, you can only block 5 defenders. If they send 6, one will get through. This makes hot routing TE's and RB's in to block another key strategy in running an effective offense.

3) Understanding the concept of a 'hot read' receiver with a short curl, hitch or smoke screen route is often necessary against the blitz.

4) Less time in pocket means less time to go deep. Expect to adapt and hit your check down routes like shallow drags and RB's leaking out into the flat.

There are also huge upgrades in pass defense, making it more important than ever to make good reads.

Rookie and Pro are still pretty safe for the casual, but for everybody else the hope is that they change their play style and employ real football strategies to adapt to the change in direction.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #59
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Will People Adjust to the Pocket in Next-Gen Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
I can assure all of you the new pocket collapse system has a direct and immediate impact on gameplay.

1) It is now critical to read blitzes pre-snap, as slide protection is now a big component of protecting yourself against the blitz.

2) With 5 man protection, you can only block 5 defenders. If they send 6, one will get through. This makes hot routing TE's and RB's in to block another key strategy in running an effective offense.

3) Understanding the concept of a 'hot read' receiver with a short curl, hitch or smoke screen route is often necessary against the blitz.

4) Less time in pocket means less time to go deep. Expect to adapt and hit your check down routes like shallow drags and RB's leaking out into the flat.

There are also huge upgrades in pass defense, making it more important than ever to make good reads.

Rookie and Pro are still pretty safe for the casual, but for everybody else the hope is that they change their play style and employ real football strategies to adapt to the change in direction.
on madden CG the cpu A.I. has burned me when I blitz by throwing screens behind the blitz and into the flats/ I don't recall the cpu doing this before. I also love the A.I. for Fbs and RBs picking up the blitz when kept in to block. this was sorely missing for a long time. good job guys, I look forward to seeing you guys continue to implement your vision next Gen. it gets wild in here but some of us are seeing the results of your efforts, even on CG.

Last edited by TeeDogg; 11-07-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 25

Honestly.... The pocket and DL/OL interaction is the ONLY thing I like.

And I LOVE the fact the arcade crowd will probably HATE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!

^ that makes me happy.... Seriously ... **** the casuals, the SIM crowd put madden on the map!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #61
Rookie

It's about time. But we'll have to see if this promise pans out. History hasn't shown that to be the case with 'realism' in Madden. If the casual gamer has problems, then good. Go find an arcade game to play and leave football to those that understand the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #62
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Honestly.... The pocket and DL/OL interaction is the ONLY thing I like.

And I LOVE the fact the arcade crowd will probably HATE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!

^ that makes me happy.... Seriously ... **** the casuals, the SIM crowd put madden on the map!!!
Same here about your comment on the "pocket", but I have a feeling its mainly cosmetic and it won't have any variety or effect any QBs laser accuracy and delivery to the magnetic hands of receivers and TEs. Hope I'm wrong for the sake of those of us who are tired of the same dog and pony show.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball

Rex - I honestly cannot complain about anything you say here because I've been asking for all of this since we lost competition in 2005. More football, less "Madden". It actually makes me incredibly happy to hear you say these things. This is the exact same mindset that needs to be applied to the ENTIRE game - every facet. As angry and frustrated many of us have been with what's happened to NFL gaming over the last 8 years, by giving us a mind blowing experience, much like what Sony and 2k are doing with their franchises, all can be forgiven. Make it happen!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #64
MVP

razorkaos's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef
I think when you boot up the game, it should ask something like: "Are you a casual gamer? Or hardcore football simulation guy?" It would then be set for "Arcade" or "Sim." (obviously, you could change this setting at any time). And then the game should play VERY differently on the different settings. Arcade would have less penalties, be easier to pick up and play (default to Gameflow play calling), have a faster game speed, all players would have crazy end zone celebrations, there would be less injuries, etc, etc. "Sim" would have realistic # and occurrences of penalties and injuries, slower game speed, realistic pocket, more realistic stats, etc. etc. There is no reason they couldn't get the game to work for both audiences.

They may even have this setting already (I haven't played Madden in a few years), but the difference b/w an "Arcade" type mode and "Sim" should be very noticeable.. so they could cater to both crowds.. that is my point.

All that being said, I'm very excited for this year's Madden. I like some of the steps they've taken to try to improve the gameplay.

[EDIT: Big FN Deal is right on. Beat me to it.]
There is a big problem here. Most casuals think they are hardcore, just because they play 300+ games a year, so they would choose the hardcore option. I see this from another perspective. I know its a different game, but the audience has more or less the same mindset. A massive part of the FIFA community believe they are hardcore FIFA players, including those players on the first 100 positions in the rakings and the guys who play the FIWC. But in reality, they keep playing with assisted controls, cheesing, exploiting the games flaws, and they often don't care about realism, cause most of them don't even know how the sport is. And the similarity can be extended to other games, like BF (cheaters everywhere), COD, NBA2K (3 pointers should not fall that easy, and people exploit it everytime) and why not, Madden. Like in FIFA, the so called hardcore players (not the real ones, i'm talking about the cheesers and AI exploiters) will keep abusing the QB sneak on the 1yd line that ALWAYS result in a TD, and every exploit or glitch they can.

If we had an option to make the game more sim or more arcade, as you said, believe me, a lot of people would choose the hardcore option, and they would get frustrated with the game, and guess what will happen? As they did with FIFA, they will storm the official forums with the old talk about how the game is broken and how they will never buy a Madden game again. And what the guys on EA will do? Yes, they will soften the game, we will see more "accessibility" and our dreams of a realistic game are gone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »