View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #8006
Blzer
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Evil Dead (2013)

I never saw the original by Sam Raimi, so I can't make any comparisons of any sort. I think I knew what to expect of the film's plot but wasn't sure. I know Raimi can fall into the "campy" camp so for this remake to have a super serious tone probably throws off what most people enjoyed about the original as is. That said, it was probably too serious for its liking, in that it really lost any sort of entertainment value for a large part of the film. It also wasn't scary enough to make up for that or gory enough to make up for that as well.

That is, until the last twenty minutes or so. The film really started to pick up at that point, even if it was too little too late. I would have loved to be in the theater for the last bit to hear the rest of the audience's reactions to everything. It didn't exactly save it though. It was just too short and shallow to have any real investment in anything. Again, I can't compare to the original to know exactly what to expect. Honestly though, I think it was hard to look past anything or seek more good after the event which actually awokened the evil dead. It was a total "smh" moment that really should have been rethought by director Fede Alvarez.

Speaking of which, Alvarez put in an bonus scene at the end of the credits, and I really didn't get it. It probably either ties in with the original film or it's some setup for a sequel. Either way, I'll have to do some research to make more sense of it. Not sure how much it will matter because I don't really know if I will care for a sequel.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60