View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
Kaanyr Vhok
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Fifa 14 has exposed a lasting and often ignored design flaw in the NBA 2k series

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Entertaining read, enjoyed the hyperboles about the medicine ball/sloth and all that..but you cant just put a throwaway line about how its harder to replicate contact in basketball, and subsequently ignore that fact in the next couple of paragraphs...basketball and soccer are two very different sports...

As of 2K12 and every basketball game before it, basketball games relied heavily on two man animations, 2K13 was a start, in that there weren't nearly as many, but there weren't enough defensive animations to counter the offensive ones, and right now Live 14 is in the same position (which is why I look forward to seeing what they do in 15).....as much grief as we want to give 2k14, it's one of the best as fair as contact to date...are there still traces of canned animations, times where animations miss or don't blend properly? Yes, absolutely....but you can't say "Hey, look at this football, soccer, baseball game", you have to look at where we are as far as basketball....but I think we are on our way there...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
I’m a pragmatic person. I tend to over-quantify stuff. I’m doing it now. Most of what I brought up was in relation to design.

If you compare onball defense in both games EA Canada did a better job of designing and building a foundation to improve on. Design is choice. I do respect how those choices are impeded in this case by a more difficult sport to capture. I generally agree about the physics. But its not just physics.

You don’t have good athletes with poor athletic ratings in Fifa. You don’t have mediocre athletes that move like they are trying out for Biggest Loser. It is up and down the roster in NBA 2k right next to the stars, rookies and guys who just look like athletes sporting overrated athletic ratings. It was a choice to remove the stance in 2k4, it was a choice to bring back 2k3s stance back for 6 and 7 while it was abused by super sliding offense, made it sticky in 8, slow and hard to control in 9, slightly better in 10 decent in 11 harder to control in 12, 13 with a decent control and nice speed boost in CG 2k14 before going back to 2k13’s slow stance in NG. While design spun in circles for a decade they could have developed a better foundation for its physics engine so they only get a half pass in respect to how difficult it is to capture animations and physics in a basketball game. The Matthews/Durant example was the one I’m most forgiving of. Besides the physics I could repeat everything from ratings to the dumbing down of the CPU’s onball defense as examples of choice and design gone wrong.

Visual Concepts would be wise to take note of Fifa’s physics and its defensive stance.

Last edited by Kaanyr Vhok; 01-16-2014 at 07:07 PM.