View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
elgreazy1
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Free Agency Predicitons

I'm really not sure where I stand with Demarcus Ware and rumors of him being released in Dallas.

I think the fit to the 4-3 should have been much smoother. Sure, Ware played traditionally in a 3-4 all his career, but he has the physical makeup to have succeeded in the DE 4-3. His size, speed, strength mirrors, if not exceeds, that of of Simeon Rice in the same defense and scheme.

Lack of talent around him hurt is overall productivity, but he was also responsible for a lot of that lack of productivity. On far too many plays, I saw him over-shoot and basically run himself out of making a play on the QB. Or in the run game, he would set the edge too far outside leaving the RB with a huge cutback lane. That is either bad coaching or Ware simply not following assignments. That makes no sense, to me; Marinelli is a proven DL coach while Ware is a proven professional, those misconnections should not have been issues.

So now what? Is Ware on a steep decline? Did he give up on the team last year? Is he leveraging his lack of desire to restructure his contract to get out of Dallas? If he goes elsewhere does he return to form and make Dallas look foolish? Does he stay and continue to decline and make Dallas look foolish?

The Cowboys should not be in a retooling mode, they should be rebuilding for the long haul. They could definitely use the cap space to reinvest into making the team younger and add depth, but can they afford to let a HOF calibre & game-changing player walk?