Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
Orange
Rookie

Orange's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: My love affair with The Show is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackbra
Man, I never thought it would get to this point.

From the first game I played of The Show on my first generation PSP (The Show 06), I was in LOVE. I thought I had something really special with the MVP series, and Triple Play before that, but The Show took all that and blew it up and made it again and BETTER. So much better.

Then, I got 07 for the PSP AND PS2... and then 08, 09, etc. Every year. I got a team hat that one year. I couldn't get enough. And it seemed like every year, it improved. When it came to PS3 and we could create our own minor league systems... forget about it. HEAVEN for this video game baseball fan. I would tinker and play around so much that I never finished a franchise season. It was all just too much fun. I even managed to help out on the minor league rosters once or twice...

And year after year, I wanted MORE. Not just better graphics, or improved gameplay during games, but MORE.

It got SO CLOSE to hooking me again as I was starting to fade last year when I could custom make my online team. But the satisfaction from FINALLY being able to create a team from scratch, as shallow as that was in that particular game mode, soon left me. In its place was a little bit of anger... resentment...

You see, for YEARS now I've wanted something that even the relatively feeble ALL STAR BASEBALL series was able to implement into its games- EXPANSION MODE. Honestly, they finally added the generated count which was in both of my ALL STAR BASEBALL games I owned in my late teens, but why on Earth have they not given me what I have been craving?

I clearly see that they have the ability to have a top notch jersey and logo customization feature. I loved it. It was just right. Not too complicated. Not as painfully simple as that in NBA 2K13. Perfect.

And I know other video games with licenses have included features which allow created teams to be placed in custom franchises (ie create a team in NBA 2k13 and put that team in place of, say, the Orlando Magic). They do it pretty well, from the limited time I've used that mode.

I just keep coming back to how much potential the mode had in ALL STAR BASEBALL. I wasn't much of a fan of the gameplay, and found it to be too easy, but as far as the generated count, and the expansion mode, it was years ahead of its time compared to MVP Baseball and The Show. That's all I'm asking for.
Take the existing uniform, logo editing in The Show for the Diamond Dynasty, add in the ability to take that team (along with adding location data, etc.) and replace a team (let's say Tampa Bay), and we're good.

Of course, with replacing a team, you'd need a new stadium. While I would LOVE to construct a custom stadium (think MVP NCAA Baseball stadium editor but on a larger scale), I'd be fine with a dozen or so generic templates.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful. I love The Show series, and I will continue to support it in spirit even though I can't bring myself to continue to purchase it. Everyone involved does a great job... I just wish they could think a little bigger, as, for me, it is becoming a roster update for $50-60. And that's basically what Madden got to be after a certain point. I just don't want my beloved baseball gaming franchise to get that stale.

You can even take the Madden model and use their lackluster "relocation" option. I would even settle for that! I would even pay $70 or $80 for THAT game because with the community rosters, The Show is easily worth that.

Here's to nearly a decade of baseball goodness

I'll be back if you decide to deliver more than the same (really good) game.
I too loved Allstar's Expansion mode. I would play this so much if they put it in. I loved making my hometown, since we don't have a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo
I can relate to what your saying, and yes probably in time create a team (as you want it) will come along. All I can add, and I don't really know how to explain it but it's been something that I have often thought about in my own experience in gaming. I'm not necessarily saying this applies to you either, it just brought some of these thoughts to mind after reading your post.

I sometimes think we try to reclaim that special time (game) experience we've had when we were young. Although I think it's something that can't be done, we have grown older, maybe expect something more perfect due to technology and also because as we grow older we see and learn other areas of games that should be improved. We need something more perfect (so to speak) as we grow older (or so it seems).

It's a constant game of chasing but never catching that same special time in our childhood when that game came out that was the cats meow. Like I said I can't directly put my finger on it, also struggle to explain it, maybe because I don't quite understand it myself.

But since the intellivision days with that baseball game with little stick men and the old "your out" I've been chasing that same feeling in some ways. Me and a buddy of mine played almost nightly, it was that special game n time for me and I just don't think it will ever come about again.

Guess it's all a part of growing up. Like I said not saying it applies to your post, just wanted to share.
I certainly hope you can find some continued enjoyment out of 13 to hold you over till.... The show can bring you back!
Also probably not the place, but wanted to thank all the ppl that have worked on the show through the years, it's a great product, excellent customer service, and great attention to detail!! You ppl have come the closest to bringing me back to my childhood in regards to games. Thank you and continued success!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
I agree with you too. Probably has something to do with it. Lots of good childhood memories from baseball, both real and video games.
TENNESSEE TITANS
横浜DeNAベイスターズ
Nashville Sounds