Old 05-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Heroesandvillains
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Stadium Effects A Factor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
Contact determines the direction and velocity of the ball, as well as ball spin. Wind is also known on any given hit. Given this info, it's possible to predict where the ball will land before it lands. You could even predict the entire ball path ahead of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile

Once the landing point or ball path is known, you can simply compare that against the stadium.

The ballpark dimension definitely affects home run chances, as the hitting system has no concept of home runs. When we tested various teams and stadiums, Yankee stadium produced way more home runs than other stadiums. We don't take for granted that things will work out the same as real life, but it's a good sign when it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFan80
Thanks Brian.

Does the ball travel farther in Coors Field due to the thinner air? I know my geek meter is pegging, but I was wondering if you guys put in air resistance in your equations.
Quote:
This does happen in high altitude stadiums like Coors, and the open desert stadiums in the minors (Turbine, Flagstone, etc..). The opposite effect isn't as big as this in sea level / cold stadiums.
Quote:
One other thing you can see when in these stadiums is your pitch breaks are slightly lower. Your pitch speeds are slightly higher. This is visible in the pitch break indicator in 1P games.
Here's a little Q+A on the subject from a few years back. I'd assume it's still the same but obviously we can't know this with any certainty.