View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #147
hanzsomehanz
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gameplay Video - Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers (Smitty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
I think the reality of the situation is that in order for them to make a legit football sim, they have to scrap whatever those animations are sitting on, [...]
I do not believe the engine needs to be yanked.

While we all see in the grand scheme what a destroy and rebuild project could accomplish: minor changes can produce major differences.

Take for example the herky-jerky animations: this could be mitigated by a *rating system that puts less "stress" on speed, agility and acceleration and allows for other secondary factors to become more pivotal in the performance of outcomes.

*Dan from FBG Ratings can speak more on how ratings affect gameplay in profound ways.

Is Madden replicating the NFL like the Show replicates the MLB?

Madden right now is built on gimmicky programmig that makes it permissable for the end-user and CPU AI to bypass the neccessary queues and processes we would see performed on NFL Sunday's.

Ball-hawk, heat-seeker, tethered passing - they all appease the casual gamer and while they also allow for warped animations: the former is more concerning to EA than the latter.

DB momentum being exaggeratingly devastated vs outs/in's and curls in off man coverage? It is there on purpose: it is there to give safe routes to the user in an effort to simulate how the average NFL QBs completes 60% of his attempted passes.

Pocket not compressing and enveloping the QB? Don't blame it on a lack of development talent - this is done by design: Madden's way of allowing QB's to casually freelance their way outside the tackles and create highlight-reels.

It should not require a preface by now but...

EA models the game after their own liking and would intentionally rather simulate the stats (end-game) and highlights than bother with articulating player performance and AI (the means) to mimic the NFL which cost more in development.

These gimmicky trappings are so pervasive they should be inherently accecpted by now as the standard culture of business as usual operations for Madden developments and they exist in an effort to coddle the casual gamer.

It is essentially part of the EA Sports - Madden business model to present the game as it is - the engine or lack of talent in departments is not to blame: credit the folks above the EA Tiburon - Madden GM's.

If there is a shift in that model and vision for how gamers play Madden then we should surely see these gimmicks shoveled out and replaced with Simulation programming that triggers thr gamer to play Football in an NFL simulated style.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk