View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #27
Big FN Deal
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

I think DCEBB makes a good point and it's sorta what I was getting at in the OP. If it's accurate that porting a game already being made for PS3/360 consoles over to PC, wasn't that costly, then it begs to reason that it's even less costly with PS4/Xbox1 development being even closer to high end PCs, Madden on PC would seem like a no risk proposition, in regard to sales. Meaning the most likely outcome would be increased revenue, not a loss.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/0...-of-madden-09/

.....EA's Peter Moore commented about the lack of a PC version on his official EA blog. "We knew that our decision to not develop this year’s Madden for the PC would be an unpopular decision in some circles," Moore admitted. "But I'll reiterate what I said a couple of weeks ago in this space... the PC presents some very serious business challenges to us in the sports category, particularly because so many of you all are playing your favorite sports games on the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. We are committed to shipping a limited number of our games on the PC this year, but we’ve also had to cut a few of our games from the platform."......

......While to some the loss of a PC version of a series built to legacy on consoles may seem trivial, there's no question that a definitive statement has been made by EA. Given the concurrent development of an Xbox 360 version, a PC port would not be too costly an endeavor. And for the hardest of hardcore football fans, the PC versions of Madden were often the version of choice: after all, they were the only versions that allowed user-generated content and roster updatability.

Peter Moore acknowledged that it would be "an unpopular decision in some circles" and I presume some in those circles were buying Madden PC. This was back in 2007 when piracy was much more of an issue, imo, so again it seems to me there is more to this now than Madden PC wouldn't make profit. Also, I remember either during this same time or shortly after came the whole "monetize" the consumer statement from Moore, which of course seems much easier to execute on consoles.

So I'm guessing that while Madden PC would turn a profit, EA wouldn't be able to monetize the PC gamer year round the way they can console gamers, to maximize profit, so they don't bother.