Old 07-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #56
Haval93
Pro

Haval93's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
To this point, none of that means anything to me, quite simply because these guys are not the actual programmer who has to write the code. Maybe I'm just biased, but to me, the real magic is created by the programmer. Great designs and ideas are paramount, but they never see the light of day without the guy sitting at the keyboard implementing it. From what I have seen from Tiburon, they struggle massively with implementation. Everything seems too hard - sometimes by their own admission. I have my own opinions about the ability level of the programmers which was formed through lots of conversations with guys who have been there and seen it first hand. This is coupled with what I've seen in the game. I tend to believe them over others, but that's just my choice.

Enough time has passed now that people forget about some of the great things that were implemented by other companies other than Tiburon when it comes to football gaming. Most of these things were done first and better, even after Tiburon claimed "it can't be done" (i.e, NFL Gameday in the 90s). I guess what I am trying to say is that you can have Frank Lloyd Wright designing your house, but if you hire a contractor who's never held a hammer, what good is the design?

Great post and point. You can the best game designer in the world working on Madden, but it won't make a difference unless the programmers are on the same page or can accomplish the task at hand. Many people have ideas on how to fix or improve the game, but a few amount of people actually make those changes to the game.

Side Note. Not many gamers or people for the matter understand the process of game development. You can have the best ideas in the world but to actually understanding how to implement those ideas can be really hard at times and takes a whole lot of time to achieve. Game programmers aren't writing thousands or hundreds of lines of code a day; it's a small steps, small amount of code which leads to incremental gains every day until an end goal.

None the less I don't it's a matter of the programmers on the team, programmers follow a designer's ideas and vision and if the designers don't want to focus on legacy issues and just want to add new things on top; it's not the programmers fault rather than a leadership fault.

Many of us would rather have Madden focus on the basic of football which are fixing animations, character movement and locomotion, physics and other core game play features. But to EA and the designers of the team, new game play features like a tackling cone are the main focus because they are marketable changes that sell to the consumer audience which represent 90% of Madden players.