View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #111
GiantBlue76
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madde

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdareal21
IMO, this has been the single most damaging thing about sports games in general, but Madden in particular. I don't understand why sports developers feel the need to "teach" anything, or cater to any other base outside of the hardcore sports gaming demographic. I would assume someone picking up a controller to play Madden or NBA 2K etc., has some sort of passing interest and understanding of the real-life sport it's trying to replicate. And if not, they'd take it upon themselves to learn the ropes of the real game in addition to the controls and nuances of the virtual world.

If I make the choice to purchase an RPG, I understand there's likely going to be a learning curve because it's not my wheelhouse, and along with that, I understand those type of games (the good ones anyway) usually won't bend over backwards to familiarize me with the mechanics of the RPG genre. What needs to happen is more Arcade style games like NFL Blitz & NBA Jam need to be made annually and/or include modes within the sim games themselves where casual fans can have an arcade option outright. But using development time, energy & resources on helping people understand Football better is ridiculous to me...
The reason is that it is a 100% business decision. How are you going to get people who are not die hard football fans to buy your product? The first thing you do is acquire an exclusive license (sorry, had to throw that in there ). Secondly, you make the game simple enough that the average fraternity brother can pick up the game and throw bombs for TDs and yell and scream on his couch while pounding beers with his buddies. What you have to realize is that much of how the game is marketed is designed to make it compete with games like Call of Duty. They want EVERYONE buying their game, especially the people who are not hardcore NFL junkies. I understand this thinking from a business standpoint and it's hard to argue with it from that perspective, but there are ways to build the game so that you can cater to both kinds of customer. Tiburon, for some reason, cannot or will not implement different levels of game modes that change how the game plays. You can simultaneously make the experience as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. This is one of the reasons why we are constantly comparing games like the Show and NBA 2k to Madden. It allows the user to do this, while Madden has one setting.
Advertisements - Register to remove