View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Big FN Deal
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Viewing Madden From A Different Angle

This is a direct rehash of a thread I created in the last gen Madden forum 3 years ago, that surprisingly doesn't get discussed enough around sports sim games, imo, User vision limiting but authentic game play views. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...65&postcount=1

The OP for that thread is rather long so I just posted the link, the general point is that the current game play views in sports sims and since this is the Madden forum, specifically Madden, is TMI, diminishing the team aspect of football. What rehashed this subject for me was a discussion about preplay adjustments and considering the fact that ever User controlled QB in Madden can see the entire field. Also, yesterday I was watching some kids playing COD and for all the unrealistic elements of that game, it requires every User to play from a vision limiting POV. I just imagine if that game allowed Users to actually play from a "god" view, it would undoubtedly diminish that games immersion.

Now for Madden, I think introducing a more User vision limiting field level view would not only add immersion but put more emphasis on decisions made before ever taking the field, ie game planning, play calling and sideline/halftime adjustments. Not a helmet cam or direct 1st person POV but more so a 3rd person POV like was in QB Club.

To avoid getting all wishlisty, I think a good start would be to have a game play view "lock" OPTION, where for example every User can only play from a specific field level POV, in a designated section/room online or created CFM. To solve the issue of the lack peripheral vision and field presence, they could just add a small, faint minimap(*1), along with a rumble mechanic for the controller.

I'll say again, this aspect of sim gaming seems to get glossed over even though it is a major reason that team sports sims can be played so successfully unrealistic. To clarify, I'm nt advocating that anyone be forced or required to play Madden from any game play view, I'm advocating for an option to lock that view in for those that choose it.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove