View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 AM   #28
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Most people dont care about this. I'm a football fan and Im not too concerned about this. Much bigger things to improve imo. Not saying I would have a problem if they worked on it. I just dont think it should be a priority.
Wait. You're a football fan and you don't want the run game to look like football? Because that's basically what you would be saying if you really meant what you said. I don't think you've thought it through.

Having actual correct gap assignment not only makes the movement of the players resemble actual football, it also would go a long way toward removing game play cheese like unstoppable outside runs.

A lot of people want the game to have better OL/DL interaction, but truthfully gap assignment for the entire defense is a big part of that. I mean, just look at this stuff:

How can you not want this stuff below in Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Keep in mind that all of this is going to be dictated pretty much by coverage and roles are going to change based on the direction of the run.

FORCE:
In this diagram you see the safety #26 to the strong side of the formation is playing the force. If the run bounces to the outside, his job is to attack where that arrow is pointing and turn the play back inside to his help. He doesn't necessary have to make the tackle, but he's got to make sure the run doesn't get outside of him by any means necessary.

CUTBACK:
#50's job if the run is away is to pretty much how it sounds. He has to make sure that if the run cuts back, he's there to make the play. He checks his gap at the snap, then when he sees it going away he pursues inside out. The key thing is that he can't be too aggressive and overrun the play. He can pursue hard, but he can't lose his leverage on the back's inside hip.

SPILL:
Once again that depends on the offensive play. For the sake of this diagram, let's say the offense is running a dive play to the defense's left. #51 will attack his A gap strong (the green arrow), forcing a double teaming offensive lineman to come off to get him. If it's done right he'll clog up the lane, thus spilling the ball outside to #56... and then to the force player if need be...

Now all of these roles will switch if the run goes the other way. And if the defense is in say a Cover 2 then the safety will have no run responsibility. Instead it will be the corner playing the force as LBz pointed out.

Here are some cut ups of the Baltimore Ravens. They're in a 3-4 but you can see the same basic concepts at work and how the roles change with different coverages. Just look at how aggressive the linebackers are. That's the one thing that's always frustrated me about Madden's defense. The linebackers don't press the LOS unless they are blitzing, or in man.

Here's a gif of what it looks like.

Kam Chancellor flying into frame from the right of the screen is the force. Wright #50, who makes the tackle -- well, he's not spilling s**t here, he's making the tackle and Wagner #54 is playing the cutback.