Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #430
The_Balm
Formerly simon48xbox

The_Balm's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream - Presentation and Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutler23
I'm starting to think the same thing, this has to be a earlier build of the game than the one we saw two weeks ago. All it looked like too me was Madden 25 with better body builds and graphics, game play seemed exactly the same as last years. If this is the case at least have a disclaimer saying that's the case. Like maybe the presentation and graphics were done already and the game play was still being worked on or tweaked. Just makes no sense still to me to showcase a old build. But I did remember them saying in the first stream that they couldn't show halftime, so it seemed to be in that build they were playing the first time.
It doesn't have to be a overall old build, it could just have older gameplay. The teams can work in parallel.

I won't go too in-depth on version control systems (like Git), but there can be many branches of Madden being worked on in parallel, this is to keep the teams from getting in each others way. The gameplay team can have their own branch that only they change and the same for the presentation team, the MUT team etc.

They are then worked on in parallel and the teams changes are occasionally merged together so they get the updates from the other teams, but then they all continue working on their own branches.

For the last stream the gameplay team showed their latest fairly stable build. Then for this stream the presentation team showed their latest fairly stable build. Now in between the two streams the two teams may not have merged their changes (Or not all of the changes. The teams could have many, many branches just for themselves and not merge them all at once.) and the last time the presentation team was working with the newest gameplay changes could have been months ago.

Of course this is all speculative, but EA has to be using a version control system of some sort and they all generally let you do things like this.