Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #35
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Pre-season games - meaningless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Which has almost nothing at all to do with what the NFL uses preseason for.

Sure, preseason is about player development, but it's about WAY WAY WAY more than that. It's about determining the roster. It's about seeing who takes their talent and applies it in a live situation. It's about determining who would be of value on your practice squad (say you play in the NFC West; maybe you want a mobile QB to practice against?). It's about players on the roster bubble fighting for their jobs. It's about players learning and applying the new schemes, when applicable (new players or new coaches).

Jeez it is SO much more than player development, but the funny thing is, preseason ISN'T for developing STARTERS; it's for developing back ups. Since there is not practice squad or position battles, or any hidden ratings that require game play to determine, the only real use of preseason is to make your players better through racking up absurd and unrealistic preseason stats.
I mean, if that's how you choose to use preseason - just playing starters the entire game for XP reasons - I suppose that's fine, you play the game however you want. I personally make it a point to rotate my backups in to see if they offer something for my team on the field for the sixteen games later that count.

Should the game have mechanisms and presentation components to emphasize the whittling down of the roster on its own? Sure. Should every team's CFM roster also have a practice squad? Absolutely. That said, there is nothing stopping you, the user and the head coach, from subbing in players further down the depth chart on your own to see how they do in a game situation which won't affect your chances of making the playoffs. Heck, the game already does the mass substitutions automatically, so there's a starting point. That's why the game starts the preseason with a 75-man roster limit per-team and gradually reduces it to 55 (yeah, it's supposed to be 53 but Madden is Madden), to encourage you the user to evaluate your players on your own to determine who to cut after each game.

It requires a little more effort on the part of the user than desired, yes, but the ability to evaluate one's roster is already there.
Advertisements - Register to remove