View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #24
ChaseB
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Real video of commentary guys instead of cartoon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertour02
I'm sorry, but I've never understood this whole "immersion" thing with media. Never at any point playing a video game have I ever forgotten that I'm playing a video game -- I'm sitting in a room with a controller in my hands, looking at action on a screen. I never stop being aware of that, nor do I have any desire to.

The day I stop being able to separate animated fiction from reality is that day I get fitted for a buckled jacket with wraparound sleeves.
Just quickly on this one as well. I don't think (at least most of the time) when people use the overused "immersion" word that they're literally saying they forget it's a video game. It's more the experience as you go through it, you don't want jarring elements that take you out of your game session. When you see a bug or you see something that doesn't fit quite right in the world, that sets something off in you, the user, that takes away from your focus on the game itself. I think in so many ways, that's more what the "immersion" is that people really speak about in that way because you just don't want things to intrude on what you're doing in the world.

TL;DR -- It's like seeing a glitch in the Matrix. It makes the brain question stuff and that's bad.