View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #53
Primo80
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Interesting article regarding Madden ratings

Yeah, the numerical ratings can't be avoided in a videogame. Its all 1's and 0's so they will naturally assign numbers to what they are trying to translate to on field action. Doesn't necessarily have to be to 100, but I dont have a problem with the numbers he assigns, really.

What I have a problem with are the categories themselves not reflecting desirable football traits. Tangible, physical ratings are fine the way they are since they are measurable. The intangibles are trickier and should be graded in comparison to a player's peers.

On a slightly different note, a player is typically coached through HS and college and practices certain techniques: form tackling, catching, throwing mechanics, how to swivel his hips in coverage... on and on. Some players have different techniques. If every defender in Madden, for instance, uses tackle animations out of the same library, what is setting them apart from one another? The likelihood that a successful tackle animation plays? Or a big hit animation?

I think techniques need to be distinct, as well as the quality of those techniques. Visually, this technique could show up as a wrap-up tackler targeting the ballcarrier's hips and legs; the quality of this technique would show as how many yards he gives up after he makes contact.

Some WRs catch more with their bodies than their hands. Or they cradle it in as a fluid motion. Or they extend their arms more often. A lot of coaches I've been around place a lot of emphasis on catching away from your body. Some techniques are valued more than others while not necessarily being better, or correct.

I think the Madden team could reasonably add techniques while not outright replacing numerical values. They started adding abilities in the form of traits (bull rush, swim, spin). They need to take the next step in setting players apart, focusing on technique and body mechanics.