View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #20
Hester
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: As a community we can not support Madden 16 without Overhauled Penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
Realism and fun gameplay are intertwined for me.

I would be just fine with that scenario you describe. I imagine there are thousands of "sim" oriented Madden gamers that would be as well.

This post here describes precisely why Madden hasn't had properly functioning penalties in years. Most casuals don't want to see penalties, and there's no consensus among the more hardcore gamers about it. Therefore, why would they spend time on it?
It would be nice to have the choice. I'm with you in that I would like to see a false start at a critical moment affect the challenge to me to win a game. I would prefer it not be 100%, though.

If I construct an OL with high awareness or other attributes that affect penalties, I would like it to happen less. Not never, but less. You might also have to set the penalties to be tied with who your coach is. The trick is finding the variable that makes sense to include in a video game that results in more or less penalties based on the players, the coach, and the situation.

One thing I actually liked about the NCAA series was that you could set your team to hold their blocks longer, but the risk was more holding calls. You could set your DL to get better jumps, but they were more likely to jump offsides.

The key in every sports game, for me, is risk/reward. I don't mind if we can slide down to arcade style and skip the penalties. But it sure would be nice to be able to slide up to something more realistic.

But let me tell you, you will be surprised by how many people will throw fit when a realistic number of penalties are called. While you cannot get the right penalties called all of the time, you can finesse the slides to find the right amount of penalties and yards called. But when I included that, moots our sim loving coaches flipped out. They would claim that there were too many, even when the numbers were still short of real life.

I suspect part of the problem with pass interference is that right now, it would just make the passing game even more dominant. And guys would fill the message boards with complaints that their lack of precise control of DB's is leading to a ton of PI's when they used to get INT's.

So, yeah, I want realistic penalties reflected in the game. But no, I'm not going to make a stand. I understand that it can easily be a source of frustration between gamers because, I'm telling you, no one ever thinks penalties re fair when they see them upon TV. If the devs can't perfectly animate the penalty, gamers will flip out. And no one will agree on the proper frequency.