Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #12
StoneCalf
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NCAA 14 Dynasty top 25 is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I haven't been able to pinpoint a cause of the bug, but I have a little explanation of the bug.

What's happening is that the entire poll isn't getting updated and it's just the same as the previous week. If you compare the polls before and after bowl week (which will require 2 saves or for you to write down the ranking before advancing) you can verify this.

1 plus side is that at least I'm 75% sure (it's been a long time since I've tested this) that the correct national champion gets credit (both the school in their info screen and the HC).

I don't know what causes it and I don't think you can simply keep backing out and advancing to end of bowl season until it works. I'm pretty sure that when it's bugged for a season it's bugged.

In the 16 years of my current dynasty it's only happened once. In the 25 years of my previous dynasty I think it only happened 3 times so at least it doesn't seem to happen often.
At one point I wondered if I was causing the final rankings to be messed up because sometimes I would do a sneak peek and simulate the NC before I would actually play my bowl game. I stopped doing that, thinking that might be causing it, but it's happened even without me prematurely simulating any games.

Here's something else that occurred at the end of my last season (year 2038), where it had Navy ranked #1, even though they lost the NC to Georgia.

I was #12 Oregon State, and I defeated #16 Texas A&M in the Holiday Bowl, 41-20. But in that same, bugged final ranking, I fell to #13. So something shifted around and the game calculated some new final rankings, but obviously it didn't do it correctly.

This has jogged a memory from where I have posted about this exact scenario happening to me in the past: In year 2016, I was #16 Alabama, and I defeated #9 Michigan State in the bowl 34-31. Final rankings showed Michigan State actually rising to #8, and had me still at #16.

Anyway, not the biggest issue in the world, just a minor annoyance. You could be right that it could be an unavoidable or unpreventable bug.
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182