Home

NCAA 14 Dynasty top 25 is broken

This is a discussion on NCAA 14 Dynasty top 25 is broken within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NCAA 14 Dynasty top 25 is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Mac
In my dynasty as USC, PSU and OSU are in the same division with 6-2 conf records with PSU 4-1 in the division and OSU is 3-2 in the division. PSU is 8-4 overall and ranked 15th in the coaches poll while OSU is 10-2 and ranked 3rd in the coaches poll.

PSU beat OSU head to head in Oct. 34-31 yet OSU is still going to play for the B1G Championship. Can anyone explain how this is possible?
What's the relevance of USC? Were they part of a 3 way tie or something? If it was only a 2 way tie between PSU/Ohio, then I don't know why that happened. I've never seen a 2 way tie that didn't go to the team that won the head to head.

If it's a 3 way tie it comes down to head to head still. If there's no winner I'm not sure what's used, but I know for a fact that at some point alphabetical order is used (which would support Ohio getting the nod over PSU).

If this is an offline dynasty you could very easily use the editor to put PSU in the B1G CCG.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 02-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #10
Rookie

Tha_Mac's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
What's the relevance of USC? Were they part of a 3 way tie or something? If it was only a 2 way tie between PSU/Ohio, then I don't know why that happened. I've never seen a 2 way tie that didn't go to the team that won the head to head.

If it's a 3 way tie it comes down to head to head still. If there's no winner I'm not sure what's used, but I know for a fact that at some point alphabetical order is used (which would support Ohio getting the nod over PSU).

If this is an offline dynasty you could very easily use the editor to put PSU in the B1G CCG.

USC was not involved I was just pointing out that I was USC but keeping track of the going on's around the nation I found the OSU/PSU situation.

And this is an offline dynasty but I've had the worst luck with editors.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0

Just some data from my dynasty to support previous observations about strength of loss:

Illinois (#3) lost in my dynasty today to unranked Nebraska, fell to #13 the next week.

A few SEC teams (Auburn and someone else, can't remember) have lost in conference, fell only 1-2 spots.

K-State somehow actually moved up after losing to #10 TCU, don't know how that happened.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #12
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I haven't been able to pinpoint a cause of the bug, but I have a little explanation of the bug.

What's happening is that the entire poll isn't getting updated and it's just the same as the previous week. If you compare the polls before and after bowl week (which will require 2 saves or for you to write down the ranking before advancing) you can verify this.

1 plus side is that at least I'm 75% sure (it's been a long time since I've tested this) that the correct national champion gets credit (both the school in their info screen and the HC).

I don't know what causes it and I don't think you can simply keep backing out and advancing to end of bowl season until it works. I'm pretty sure that when it's bugged for a season it's bugged.

In the 16 years of my current dynasty it's only happened once. In the 25 years of my previous dynasty I think it only happened 3 times so at least it doesn't seem to happen often.
At one point I wondered if I was causing the final rankings to be messed up because sometimes I would do a sneak peek and simulate the NC before I would actually play my bowl game. I stopped doing that, thinking that might be causing it, but it's happened even without me prematurely simulating any games.

Here's something else that occurred at the end of my last season (year 2038), where it had Navy ranked #1, even though they lost the NC to Georgia.

I was #12 Oregon State, and I defeated #16 Texas A&M in the Holiday Bowl, 41-20. But in that same, bugged final ranking, I fell to #13. So something shifted around and the game calculated some new final rankings, but obviously it didn't do it correctly.

This has jogged a memory from where I have posted about this exact scenario happening to me in the past: In year 2016, I was #16 Alabama, and I defeated #9 Michigan State in the bowl 34-31. Final rankings showed Michigan State actually rising to #8, and had me still at #16.

Anyway, not the biggest issue in the world, just a minor annoyance. You could be right that it could be an unavoidable or unpreventable bug.
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Old 02-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
I agree with jello's observations. Today I saw #6 South Carolina lose to #2 Georgia, but they are still (either #5 or #6, can't remember which), because it was a close loss to a highly ranked team, and #1 Navy suffered a bad loss and plummeted down to around #8 or so.

My biggest issue, that I'm still experiencing the whole time I've been in my dynasty, is that sometimes (maybe 20% of the time) the final rankings are jacked up. Example: at the end of last season, #2 Georgia defeated #1 Navy in the National Championship game, but the final rankings at the "End of Season" still had Navy #1, and Georgia #2. That's a bug any way you slice it. I can't figure out what's triggering/causing it though.

I've seen this lots of times, i'm not sure what causes it. Up until yesterday I thought it was because I simmed all the games in a particular week, but I don't think that's the cause anymore

see the bowl week is actually 3 weeks in the game's internal DB. So I used to sim just about all the games and leave 1 in each week unsimmed and then sim to the end of the season and this worked

Although this past season I played, I moved my team's bowl game , and I got the problem. there's something weird that causes the polls not to update, although the national championship game winner is recognized.

when it happens I just fix the rankings in the editor, but it's still rather annoying
Old 02-19-2015, 02:20 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
I agree with jello's observations. Today I saw #6 South Carolina lose to #2 Georgia, but they are still (either #5 or #6, can't remember which), because it was a close loss to a highly ranked team, and #1 Navy suffered a bad loss and plummeted down to around #8 or so.

My biggest issue, that I'm still experiencing the whole time I've been in my dynasty, is that sometimes (maybe 20% of the time) the final rankings are jacked up. Example: at the end of last season, #2 Georgia defeated #1 Navy in the National Championship game, but the final rankings at the "End of Season" still had Navy #1, and Georgia #2. That's a bug any way you slice it. I can't figure out what's triggering/causing it though.
Exact same thing happened to me the 4th year of my dynasty, but in my case at least it fixed itself apparently. Ohio State went undefeated and no one got even close to beating them but #2 1 loss UNC handled them fairly well, winning by two touchdowns. At the end of the season, OSU was still ranked one and the school info pages had both teams last NC listed as 2017. After the offseason I checked again and OSU was back to 5 NCs and UNC now had sole possession of the 2017 title.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »