View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
SpritePuck
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion Thread 2015

People have argued with me that in classic pitching when one releases x has no influences on the velocity and location. I discovered in practice pitching mode that for me learning when to release was key. That the release point is more important than a few rating points one way or the other. I try to release x right before that max velocity slight controller vibration, meaning I never feel it vibrate. This is easy once you practice with your pitching staff. Most pitchers in the windup tap the rubber with the drive foot (back foot, the right foot for righties) right about at the moment x should be released if not wanting max velocity vibration. From the stretch it is right before the kick foot touches down but a few can land the kick foot without vibration, for them it is right on or before the land for best accuracy on release.

Under throwing and over throwing both affect location quite a bit. All pitching motions are different so it does vary some. For me personally some are much easier to time.*Again I have had people argue that I am wrong about this but honestly I swear when x is released is the single handed most import part of classic pitching. (Besides understanding counts and where pitch types must be placed but that is such basic baseball knowledge, I assume everyone knows never throw a high curve or slider unless you feel fans need more souvenirs.)

Thus, I pitch way better with certain players. An example is the Cubs Dallas Beeler he is a 65 but I can out pitch the whole staff using him because I can place pitches wherever I want consitently. To the point that after April and him only giving up 1 run and being used as often as his energy would allow, I traded him off. It was just too unrealistic. I do not think he is glitched, I just think his windup was too easy for me to use. Point is that they are all different. Another example is I get shelled using Price as I constantly overthrow pitches.*Only saving grace is he has good enough stuff that even when they knock the crap out of it sometimes it is a fly ball only.

Here is my expirience and maybe it is all in my head but I throw literally hundreds of each pitch type with my staff in practice mode. Use the pitch aiming mode, ignore the score and location. Throw all one type pitch to one location until you have it. Then the next type pitch. Just start the mode over and over ignore negative scores for throwing wrong pitch and missing the catchers target. I keep spread sheets on how affective (consistent I am) with each of my pitchers. Plus, keep excel sheets on what pitches get hit in what count from who in my staff. The game allows video saves for review. I approach pitching in this game with my whole staff like Maddux did (Study wise, NOT on the mound wise! On the mound, I found for me, I need pitch as close to how the actual pitcher does as I can for the best results) .
If Holiday hits a 1-2 breaking ball in the gap off me with Lester on the mound. He will never see that pitch in that location in that count ever again! I also keep a seperate list for day and night and home games. As the ball seems to react different in day and night games (though this could just be in my head and because of the commentary I believe it) but my record is far better in day games. All these numbers I study when forced because of things like school to not play The Show. Knowing my schedule and upcoming lineups, I can plan a pitching approach before going into a game. (not saying this is needed, I am aware I am obsessive and also for some odd reason can memorise real and video game stats and numbers) But if The Show is approached as one would an actual start or manager does it becomes the best expierience ever. Since I can not actually play or manage baseball this is the greatest gift I have ever been given!

I have discovered the following regardless of pitcher though ratings can make this worse or subdue it.....

- When over thrown the 2seamer can literally go anywhere. Mostly with very bad results!

- The 4seamer tends to go up.

- Sinkers, Splitters, 12-6 Curves, some changeups and most anything primarily breaking down end up in the dirt. THOUGH IF WAY OVER THROWN CAN END UP RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE!!!! <---- which is bad

- Standard breaking balls like Sliders and Curves besides the 12-6 over exagirate the break.
This also can apply to Cutters and Running Fastballs (which are technically a 2seamer) but react slightly different to being over thrown. Over throwing the RF is no where near as disasterous as overthrowing the standard 2SFB.

- Never pitched with a knuckler so I have no clue what happens when it is over thrown. As far as I know Dickey is only active pitcher who throws it. In the past I used Wakkefield but the game has changed a lot since those days pitching wise. (FOR THE BETTER!)

Under throwing pitches seems less predictable and more dependent on the pitcher. Though I just maybe do not under throw very often or possibly it just takes some speed off. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

The only pitch I ever throw with max velocity on a somewhat regular bases (mostly for strikeouts or with closers) is high fastballs trying to get someone to chase as they tend to "rise" out of the zone later when slightly overthrown. Though if greatly overthrown it is way high!
Sometimes an occasional sweeping curve, slurve (though I hate the pitch), cutter or slider for same reason. To get someone to chase as it breaks out of the zone.

If you like watching big flies throw the 2seamer max velocity or over and it sometimes (in my opinion and by my charts about 25% of the time) ends up center plate then someplace in the stands.*It IS my favourite pitch but must be used in the correct location and with perfect release or just do not throw it. In game it is not the same as the sinker or running fastball when it comes to release timing, though in real life I suspect it is much more the same.

I think this is all pretty much true to real pitching. When a pitcher overthrows a curve it bounces or worse yet does not break. A fastball hits the backstop as it rises over the catchers mitt and so on. I have only ever played softball, so I am speculating and going off what experts write and by observing the game as a huge fan of pitching.

Hero,
Can you can confirm release point matters? Or am I bat arse crazy?
It is sometimes hard to know for sure as classic does allow for a bad pitch do to player ratings. But when taking someone with high control on a certain pitch into practice I only miss my location (meaning miss by a lot, not just slightly off) when my release is way early or way late. Meaning long before max velocity or at max or sometime after.

By the way I use Armor's sliders and play on All Star if that matters.

Last edited by SpritePuck; 04-29-2015 at 10:56 PM.