Free Throw Difficulty: 75
Player Lock: Off
Real Player FT%: Off
Fatigue: On
Injuries: On
Team Unity: On
Sixth Man: On
Clutch Factor: On

I try to stay true to self imposed rules. With my current team I force myself to also recruit 2 star players. I will always try my best to run my primary offense and defense as they’re intended to be run.

Backstory

After playing four seasons at Western Michigan University and seven seasons in the NBA, Coach Corey Haas found himself at the helm of Fairleigh Dickinson University’s basketball team at 28 years old. Coach Haas, now 35, and in his 8th year as Head Coach of the Knights has lead them to three NIT bids as well as four NCAA tournament bids. Going as far as the Sweet 16 in his second year. He also has seven regular season Northeast Conference titles to go with four Northeast Conference Tournament Titles. Here is his philosophy in his own words.

Offensive Philosophy

To some extent it’s my own, but I have taken from a lot of my influences - more so later on. Those include Pete Carril, Jerry Tarkanian, John Wooden, Coach K, Bob Knight Nolan Richardson, and Phil Jackson. To some extent we now use multiple offenses in one. That however makes it sound more complex than it is. For example, I feature a couple plays out of the UCLA High Post but don’t incorporate the entire offense. (Same goes for Triangle, Read&React, ISO, Fast break, and 1-4 High Stack) They're all also either related or share some of the same principles. When I first got here we ran only Princeton, and at our base that’s most of our offense. Though over my tenure here we've transitioned to more of a 3-2 Motion offense. We've also began to incorporate more ISO’s and fast breaks since having some success in recruiting.

At our core we're more of a lower possession/scoring, good ball movement, inside out, screens, backdoor cuts, few drives to draw fouls and get to the free throw line. More talent here has allowed me to be a bit more versatile. When I first got here I wanted low scoring, ugly, defensive type of games. It was our only chance. For the most part that’s how we try to play.

Defensive Philosophy

That brings me to defense. When I first got here I wanted to win with defense and athleticism. So that’s what I recruited. Until I got recruits here we started with 2-3 zone. Years 2-4 I started bringing in other zone defenses. We went mostly 2-3/2-1-2 zone, as well as 1-3-1 zone and 1-3-1 match up zone. In small doses I tried a 1-2-2 zone. I got some good results, mostly mixed, and the 1-3-1 match up zone was just an absolute disaster for some reason. It was only used in year two. Year 5 we started with just 2-3/2-1-2 zone but we started horrid on defense. I tried 3-2 zone, 1-2-2 zone and 1-1-3 zone. I featured small doses of man to man. Ultimately I ended up playing mostly 1-2-2 with the 3-2 zone as my secondary defense. Year 6-7 I transitioned back into 2-3 zone mostly. With some 1-3-1, 2-3 match up as well as 3-2 zone and 1-2-2 zone. The latter three were used sparingly. Now in year 8 we run mostly a 2-3 zone or amoeba/2-3 match up zone defense with occasional man to man if the 2-3 isn’t working well.

Recruiting Philosophy

I go for mostly defense and athletes, but I also look for size and versatility. I try to keep a couple shooters on the team but we’ve never had a real good three point shooting team statistically.

Currently in my 8th Year (I'll recap previous years of course)

Coach Record: 176-61

Overall: B
Offense: B-
Defense: B-
Teaching: B
Scouting: B-
Charisma: B
Discipline: B-

Advertisements - Register to remove