View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
GStera7
Banned

GStera7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Live 16 - Retail Impressions Thread

Disclaimer

First, let me preface by saying that I played NBA Live 15 more than most people. I actually enjoyed the game and really put time into learning the ins and outs of it. Also, Ultimate Team and Pro-Am are not available to play in the retail build pre-release. Dynasty Mode actually pulls stories from last year, so when I started my Rising Star with the Cavs, I saw Kevin Love and Andrew Wiggins traded.

My Impressions

Graphics

Graphically speaking, NBA Live took a very big step forward this year. The lighting is amazing (really) and the players look so much more realistic. I actually think the bodies in NBA Live (specifically LeBron) look like they are scaled better. LeBron is a train in real life, and I feel like in NBA 2K, he looks like a little kid.

Pros
  • Player models look amazing
  • Floors look amazing
  • Lighting is so realistic

Cons
  • Non-scanned players can look freaky (see Varejao)
  • The bench looks dead/not detailed

Gameplay

This is a mixed bag for me. I will be straight up and say that I was expecting a little more of an improvement, but I am holding my full opinion until the Day 1 Patch. Currently, there are a few too many bugs, such as the high arching fall-away, unexpected speed layups (where the offensive player accelerates a tad too quick) and things like that that hamper the experience for me.

3 Point shooting is way too easy on All-Star, which was a problem that plagued NBA Live 15 until a patch addressed it. Again, I am waiting until the Day 1 Patch to expand further.

Defense is very hit or miss as well. Block timing can be easy (not nearly as bad as Live 15) but staying in front of a point guard can feel awkward (almost like you don't have total control of your guy).

Pros
  • So much smoother than Live 15
  • New shots look/feel great
  • Definitely can make some great highlights

Cons
  • Still has wonky animations from time-to-time
  • 3 Pointers are way too easy
  • I worry about the longevity of the gameplay (can feel a little stale)

Presentation

The presentation for NBA Live 16 is very similar to NBA Live 15. The announcing has gotten a little better/more organic, but still too much dead air. The highlight packages alone make me happy, so I could careless about spotty announcing (I still enjoy NHL, despite its awful commentary).

Pros
  • ESPN Integration is always good
  • Highlight packages make you happy

Cons
  • Not much different from Live 15
  • Not enough "life" to the presentation (replays seem dead mid-game)

Overall

Overall, right now pre-patch, I would give NBA Live anywhere between a 7 and an 8. I think it is well on its way to challenging 2K, but right now, it still lacks the polish that it will need to truly contend for people's money.

Last edited by GStera7; 09-18-2015 at 03:46 PM.