View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #47
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Week 3: Atlanta Falcons (2-0) @ Dallas Cowboys (2-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi
You can't blame Weeden for taking what the ATL defense gave him. That wasn't what lost the game. I'm really surprised that we still hear the unsophisticated "it's all on the QB" argument...

Especially when the Dallas staff made no adjustments, and I swear they essentially ran the same passing play every time. Garret is consistently outcoached...i need to go back and see how many games his teams have lost when going into halftime with a lead.
I can blame Weeden and the coaching staff simultaneously for not attempting to stretch the defense, which afforded Atlanta's defense the opportunity to load the box against a hot running game without consequence, which led to short Cowboys drives on offense, which led to an depleted Cowboys' defense being on the field far longer than ideal, which allowed Atlanta to wear the defense down and create the comeback.

That's part on the game plan - the passing game plan was obviously very conservative - and part on Weeden's known limitations - the game plan was obviously designed with protecting him in mind. Everything is connected, it isn't just a simple "X did Y wrong" issue.

Related, a general observation that isn't exclusive to here, but one that bothers me - this idea that whenever something goes wrong with a football team that the blame is solely with the coaching staff and the players are exempt really bothers me. Sometimes, the players just aren't good enough, and that's perfectly okay to admit.