Old 12-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
ggsimmonds
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: When will we get and who desires a more realistic depth chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I don't think they'll arbitrarily change the terminology, and ditch WR1, WR2, etc but could see them supplementing the depth chart slots with some of that data. Isn't x, y, z playbook related anyways? What NFL team's depth chart lists their 1-3 x, y and z receivers? Special teams probably would be addressed in that way too, at the playbook level rather than supplemental depth chart positions that might not even exist today, or do they? We have what we have now in part because here is what NFL rosters look like: http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/depth-chart

Honestly, I think some of this stuff will be addressed in the next year or two, with how this team is tackling things. The next real deep dive into franchise has to hit on rosters and contracts for sure.
This is why I really want them to greatly expand on the scheme feature. "Attacking 4-3" is inefficient. I would like for them to drastically change the defense.

Under scheme there could be something like the following for defense:

Base:
Choose the front: 4-3, 3-4, exotic/misc choices (think TCU 3-3-5 and the like).
Coverage: Single high, two deep, etc
Options for alignment: under/over shifts
Type: Options pertaining to man or zone

Philosophy:
Movement: Controls the presnap movement. Options would be none, manual, 5 seconds, 7 seconds, etc. So lets say you call a zero blitz out of a 4-3 look. If movement is set to manual your defense will come out in their base look. You then press the trigger and this causes the defenders to move into position. None would mean they come out of the huddle showing blitz, the time options would tell the defense when during the playclock to move.

Press: on/off. Basically something of a default stance.

Mirroring: All the mirror options from above.

Matching: auto/passing situations, manual, always. Controls behavior when it comes to 3 WR sets and other subs the offense may make. More of an AI/coach suggestions control.

Packages: Think formation subs here.

There should also be options detailing whether LBs in man coverage add to the blitz, spy, or drop into hook.

So for my preferred defense my base defense would be a 4-3 under shift single high man defense (apologies to Pete Carroll). I think this method is more realistic because everything would be derived from a base defense.

Yeah it would be very complex but guys can leave everything set to the team defaults if they wish. But allow guys like me to have total control over what our defense is. One of the options in franchise is to be a coach. Well then actually give us the option to be a coach then.

Then improve custom playbooks and reintroduce create a play so users can truly create their own schemes.