View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #17
ralphus8
Rookie

ralphus8's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Bullpen and Manager Logic needs to be smarter!!

I have a completely different experience, but I'm mostly playing RTTS. Managers leave pitchers in the game way too long after they should have been pulled -- either due to pitch count or performance. I've had games where the manager was perfectly fine with a reliever walking the bases loaded, then walking in two runs because our team was up by 5 or 6 runs in the 7th inning. I had one game where we were up big (I think it was 14-1) and the manager seemed to be trying to give the starter a complete game -- pitch count was up to 180 at the end of the game. The opposing team was hitting at will against this guy in the 8th inning and they almost pulled off a comeback win.

It's also frustrating when your team is holding a lead late and the manager just seems to not have any grasp on the situation. I had a game recently where we were up by a couple of runs late in the game against the Marlins, there were runners on second and third with two out and Giancarlo Stanton is coming to the plate. The first thing I scream at the TV is "walk him!" He gets into a 2-0 count and the next pitch is going to be a fastball and I'm like "well, this game is at least tied -_-" and, sure enough, he doubles to LF. All the mistakes the manager made off the top of my head:

Had a left hand reliever on the mound to face him.
Had a chance to take the bat out of his hand and didn't.
Pitched to him after falling behind 2-0 in the count.
Failed to recognize that the next batter up was Marcell Ozuna who was in the midst of a terrible slump, which would have setup a force out at any base.

Somehow we win these games in spite of the manager. So this is an area that could use some improvement, in my opinion. If nothing else, it makes me appreciate having Manager Mode in Franchise that much more.