Old 03-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #36
SilverBullet19
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: College Players Set to Get Their Share of a $60 Million Settlement with EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
I hope you people realize that an NCAA game will never happen again. They would have to pay each player individually, meaning players from the power 5 conference colleges would get paid way more than the mid majors/ lower tiered schools. This will mess up recruiting terribly and put the mid majors/ lower schools at a huge disadvantage making college sports less competitive. If a top 10 quarterback recruit out of high school wants to go to Tulsa because its his hometown college, he wouldnt do it if they paid athletes because hed make way more money if he went to oklahoma or alabama. and also if a quarterback becomes a star at a college like Tulsa hed transfer the next season to an oklahoma or alabama so hed make way more money on endorsements and game license fees. Also if they try to even it out so that each player makes the same then the power 5 conference players would reject it asap because they feel they deserve way more money than the lower mid major players.
#1: There's no reason certain players would be paid more than others. They all have the same role in the game, and would receive the same compensation. The only difference is if they are the cover athlete. Madden works the same. Brady doesn't get a bigger chunk than Fitzpatrick just because he is a star.

Even in the O'Bannon lawsuit, the players getting more money were that face of the suit, the rest get equal cuts.

#2: I severely doubt Power 5 conferences would try to get their players paid more than others. The schools have plenty to deal with and how much a video game companies pays their players is the least of their concern.

The idea for pay is a stipend, not a contract. EA sends a letter asking to use the players name and likeness for $XX dollars, same is sent to every player. The player either accepts it, or doesn't. If they don't, they're not in the game. Its what they do in Madden. They don't take the time and negotiate a contract with each player, or each school, thats too much time invested. Its a "take it or leave it" deal. That's why even in madden, every once in a great while there #51 or #17...that player didn't sign the agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM27
No one said being an athlete was easy. I don't have as much spare time as my friends, I can't get a job because of practice, I have to cancel weekend plans because of games.. It comes with the house, it's hard to be a student-athlete, a lot of people can't handle it.
The old "you knew what you were getting into" idea. Many students really didn't realize it would be that difficult to make things work. They stick to the sport because they love it. Meanwhile their image, jerseys, and anything else they are on is sold for a huge profit. EA wants to pay them (and really, not even a lot) to be in the game. The amount each player would get is still almost nothing, but it could cover some meals and clothes for a little bit.

Major Boise State fan