View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
clinthc0003
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 Defensive Settings Community Wiki

I think I was able to find out what the Prerotate setting does.

I know in Sam's video about help defensive settings, he says you should put it on the opposing center who you want to rotate off of but I don't think that this is what it does. I think you are having success with these settings because of the Help defense setting being set to Auto for the opposing big. (No offense Sam, I'm a big fan)

I've done some testing and what I think it does is causes an extra defender to come help when the opponent player with Prerotate set to Yes is isolated on one side of the floor.

I posted this in the other thread about Help defense being broken, but I think this is a more appropriate thread for it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinthc0003
I was just doing some labbing for the Prerotate setting and I think I was able to figure out where alot of the seemingly random motion comes from.

The Prerotate option brings an extra defender "to the nail". This can happen even in just a simple isolation play.

In the example video (sorry for the poor quality) I set my help options to No Help for all players. I set Prerotate to No for all players except Lebron. For Lebron I set Prerotate to Yes. When the game starts, I switch over to the Cavs so I can study the defensive settings.

There are four offensive possesions for me in the video:

1a. I iso LeBron on the right wing. Zaza comes behind KD since Prerotate is set to Yes for LeBron.
1b. I iso LeBron on the right wing again. This time, Draymond comes to help since he is closer to the action.
2. I iso LeBron on the left wing. Zaza comes behind KD again and Curry rotates down to cover Zaza's man.
3. I iso Kyrie on the left wing and no additional help comes since Preroate is set to No.
4. I iso Lebron again on the right wing and Zaza comes over once again.

Sam seems to think in his setting sets that the Prerotate setting helps determine who will come to help, but I think this is really what it does. You aren't seeing any breakdowns with Prerotate to Yes on the center since the center is never isolated on the outside.

You guys test this out and let me know if you are seeing the same thing.

Let's hope we're still getting that ScottOG stream sometime this week!