View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 02:49 AM   #45
Trapper700
Pro

Trapper700's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Week 6: Atlanta Falcons (4-1) @ Seattle Seahawks (3-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampking101
Have not seen this angle but having just seen it and taking into account it may have been on the same play. Julio does indeed push the helmet to the side which should indeed be a penalty no question I admit that. However if you watch Sherman's right arm after the initial contact it is also going towards Julio's head (as it literally makes contact across his face mask you can argue incidental contact for both as it looks like Julio takes his eye off Sherman for a moment and makes the mistake of going to high and Sherman's looks like his hand was coming to grab Julio but instead shoves into his head, I will just add though that I personally think both were intentional) chippy play sure but if called fairly that is offsetting penalties and you reset the down it was a no call on both sides as well which as long as neither are called for it that is fair and I can't complain.

Now if we take Sherman's as incidental but not Julio's then okay then we take that into account. Then Sherman blatantly fouls Julio with the pass interference, if both are called fairly then they offset each other replay the down. Even if they call the penalty on Julio and Julio gets the ball (which without Sherman holding him and pinning his arm was likely as he almost caught it even under those circumstances) it is nulled and they enforce a 10 yard penalty and replay the down.

Either way you slice it, it still isn't as damaging as not calling it on the pass interference and giving the ball to the Seahawks handing them the win. Alford got called on one that literally gave them a new set of down, placed them at the 1 yard line, and basically handed them a touchdown. However you slice it, the penalties were not called fairly in this game, if Alford had not been called to give them the TD and Sherman was no called for the turnover and the outcome was the same, I'm kicking dirt because that would have at least been a fair ruling.
I would have been fine with offsetting penalties if that was what would have occurred if the penalties were actually called.

It's just weird to see people complaining just about the DPI when two other penalties occurred on the same play (the one of that gif and also no call on illegal hands to the face of Marsh). Offsetting penalties would be fine but people are literally calling for a spot of the foul penalty to be called in this case without taking into account the other no calls.

Here's a video showing both:
https://streamable.com/pyq8

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove