Old 01-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #19
mlb61
Rookie

mlb61's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Schemes, Do they even matter in M17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
I just realized that in M17 I can't find player schemes. In Madden 16, It showed you individual player schemes and style. Example player, A OB came from a West Coast Scheme but was a pocket style OB. Or a OL came from a Power run scheme but was a zone blocker.

In M17 I can’t find the scheme anywhere. Only player style, even in the draft.

So when drafting or trying to assign a player to your Coaches Scheme. How do you do it? For example my Browns Coaches scheme runs a Balanced Offense and a 3-4 zone defense. So when Drafting a QB, Should I look for a balanced OB style, a West Coast, a Pocket passer, Mobile, Strong Arm. Does it even matter? Actually I have 4 QB's, each a different style. In Madden 16, by changing Coaching schemes it changed their ratings in depth chart, some by 3 or 4 points. Same in all other categories. In M17 it rarely makes any difference at all.

So my question, when drafting, signing a free agent, arranging depth chart, does it make any difference at all what a player style is because it really shows no affect in the depth chart or by changing coaches’ schemes. Whereas it made a big difference in M16. Or did madden blow it again.
Schemes and "player styles," as you call them, matter to me. The coach's off and def schemes are listed in "My Coach" > "Schemes," after the Coach's Off Playbook and Def Playbook (which btw are different for me from the custom playbooks I use in games -- different but close to the same). The coach's scheme's I've chosen (Vertical Off & Attacking 4-3) reflect the content of my custom playbooks and the core of the plays I expect to run in key situations. Player styles summarize a players strengths and help you decide who focus on when drafting or trading. I will, for example, hardly ever draft a QB who is not "Strong Arm," but when I do he must have a "Throw Power" of at least A- and "Acc Short" of at least B+; otherwise he's useless to me because he can't run the critical plays in my playbook. The same is true at HB, where I will almost never draft or trade for or sign as a free agent someone who is not a Power Back. CBs have to be "Man to Man," because that what I play 75% of the time. Just about every position had a strongly preferred Style, because of my playbooks, which match the odd and def scheme's of my coach.

Overalls are not especially important. That they don't change when you change the Coach's schemes doesn't matter. What matters is how well a player's attributes match what he's expected to do in plays of your playbook. Schemes and player styles help you separate the goat from the sheep, after which you can take a closer look at each individual player.