View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #3326
JoshC1977
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's M17 Sliders

Thought I would provide an update as to what I have been up to on the Madden front...nothing slider related.

I'm bored with stock rosters and I ran out of "what if?" ideas based around current rosters. So, I went down the fantasy draft pathway. The problem with fantasy drafts, they just make things feel like a random hodgepodge of players....no real team identities.

So this is what I did....
  • I executed a fantasy draft and let the CPU pick all the players.
  • I selected the two worst teams (1 per conference), dropped all of their starting players and filled the roster spots with scrubs. This did two things; a) gave me two "expansion" teams and b) gave me a pool of players.
  • I then evaluated all of the teams and made note of weaknesses/strengths. One team had studs everywhere on offense except QB. One team was loaded in the front seven except for a stud DT. One team was awful on offense except for a stud QB. One team had an loaded secondary in the top 4 guys, but lacked a solid 3rd corner.
  • I then took control of the teams and addressed those observations either by FA signings or trades.
  • I then adjusted all teams to generic PBs and adjusted their offensive/defensive schemes.
  • Finally, I retired all the coaches (except commish) and saved the file as a "base".
The end result was a league with a true variety of teams...a couple of true stud teams, some great on just one side of the ball, some mediocre, and then those sad expansion teams. This got me fully-vested in this league and I feel it is something of my own. I selected a team to roll with for a CFM and saved it as a new file.

Now I am off and rolling...my own new version of the NFL...unencumbered by "Real life" and expectations of a real life league which has been wallowing in its own mediocrity since its downhill spiral began in the late 90s.

I fully expect to continue my own manipulation of the league as I go, not to my own advantage, but in an effort to allow the league to develop its own unique 'flavor' (player editing is such a godsend here). At the end of the day, this is what I have wanted all along, to create my own "little world"...one that I care about, one that I am invested in, and one that is fun to play in....