View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #24
kyle81
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: If You Have A Rigid Idea of Sim Style Play, Read This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
That's where we disagree slightly. To say 8 is 8 to me is like the person who's trying to lose weight saying a calorie is a calorie and that's just not going to help them achieve their goal. Specific calories matter and in this case specific personnel matters. If I'm in 21 personnel and I'm running a sweep right at your nickel back my guard is picking up the first face that shows, which most likely is going to be your nickel back. There is just not a nickel corner brave enough to like this kind of match up.

Or if I'm running the power play at your Nickel CB and my FB happens to get matched up on your Nickel and it's a FB who can actually stonewall linebackers, what Nickel CB is going to want to deal with that?

Now if one is in this look and one is stunting it may cause some confusion and guys might miss assignments, but no way in a base look a Nickel back is going to like what his coach is asking him to do.

Now if a team is using a Spur - Hybrid Safety/Linebacker at around 218-230 lbs in the nickel spot then things change a little but not completely. If it's an 180 lb CB he should get buried.

I actually remember the year NE Patriots ran this exact defense with Harrison, Victor Greene and I cannot remember the 3rd guy. But the Dolphins ran their asses off the field with the Wildcat. So I don't mind anyone running nickel as a base defense, the problem I have is I know how to run that crap right off the damn field and put a person who wants to do that in a begging position, but Madden doesn't allow the counter to work. You want to run Nickel every play, fine. Let me get in tackle over with a FB and destroy it then. But that's where madden falls short.
Again I'm with you. I'm talking about having a hybrid guy in the slot rather than a true CB. Won't argue with you on that point. I'm just saying just because your alignment is in a 2-4-5 doesn't mean your personel is a Nickle package. That's what a lot of college teams do and pro teams are starting to implement it (especially if you have a good TE). Again, it's all about light numbers in the box that others me as long as the personel makes sense, I don't care about the alignment for the most part, although a 3-2-6 shouldn't stop a cold run wise