View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #1152
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

Home Cooking

UConn gets revenge on Kansas with 58-10 massacre after Carder leaves hurt; Shav Wade tallies another INT as Williamson runs wild in three quarters of work

Luke Williamson strengthened his Heisman candidacy with 177 yards and four touchdowns on the afternoon.

Let’s get one thing straight. Kansas is having a fantastic year in 2020. Let’s not get that wrong. The Jayhawks have already beaten their win total from last year, and are still above .500, second in the Big 12 East.

However, this afternoon the Jayhawks looked nothing like the resurgent team we thought we’d see. The reason why?

It’s the Property. We had a House Party.

Seven more times that song played on Saturday, as sixth-ranked UConn took the contest in East Hartford with ease. The Huskies cruised to a 58-10 victory after the defense knocked third-string/starting QB Josh Carder out of the game in the first quarter. Thrust into action was fourth stringer MyKeese Holley, and the Kansas offense struggled for the remainder of the game. They garnered only 131 total yards of offense, and only 30 yards rushing on 22 carries. More importantly, Kansas did not score one point after Carder’s exit from the game as UConn's defense gained all the momentum and never relinquished it.

Kyler Parks still feels mad about last year. He decks a Kansas lineman after he recovered a fumble.

On the other end, however, UConn had little problems with a poorly rated Kansas front seven. UConn racked up 594 yards, with a stellar 305 on the ground. 177 of those rush yards came from Luke Williamson, and sophomore Carlton Parker sent the home fans into a frenzy with a career high 88 yards and two touchdown scores -- the second of which on a fantastic 38 yard, zigzagging touchdown run.

Isaac Jackson played well once again, completing 16 of 22 for 72% and 265 yards to go with a touchdown and INT, once again displaying his capabilities as the leader for the UConn offense. His only mistake came on an inaccurate throw early in the first quarter that was intercepted by Aaron Thomas (who had 10 tackles on the afternoon).

Despite all the good, though, it was actually Kansas who raced out to a 10-7 lead after the first quarter of play. Carder did a stellar job moving the Jayhawks down the field and had the lead after a long Sam Shelten field goal and a seven yard screen play that went for a touchdown on the legs of Michael McGill. However, Carder was hit hard on that play by John Cox and Sam Rourke and was diagnosed with a concussion -- out for the game.

UConn won the game on this play. Though Kansas scored, Carder left concussed and didn't return. Kansas didn't score again.

With their leader down, UConn pounced on the suddenly deflated Jayhawks. The Huskies scored 31 points in the second quarter alone on the strength of three of Williamson’s touchdown runs, and UConn never looked back.

With UConn up 38-10 at the half, the second string played for the majority of the second half, and several reserves shined. We already touched upon Carlton Parker, who is making the most of his carries while J.P. Byers remains on the shelf with his pectoral injury.

However, the biggest star of the day may have been sophomore D-End James Mandrell.

The loser in the starting left end battle this offseason with Altarri Gardner, Mandrell racked up four sacks of Holley in the fourth quarter alone, a defensive performance unlike anything I’ve ever seen. He also played well in UConn’s win over Michigan earlier in the year, so it remains to be seen whether or not Mandrell will see an increase in snaps after today’s game.

James Mandrell had a phenomenal gam-- I mean fourth quarter.

Other than that, linebacker Scott Coffman tallied a sack and a pair of TFL’s, and young QB Alex Paige completed his first career pass. New kicker Tyler McCray converted three of his four field goals and all seven extra points.

UConn moves to 7-1, 3-1 in Big 12 play with the win. The Huskies also create some extra separation in the Big 12 East race as the second place Jayhawks fall to 4-3 and 2-2 in-conference. Coach Diaco had a good day, all in all, and seemed pleased in the post-game presser as he wished Kansas luck in the rest of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Diaco
There was a lot that I liked today and some things I’ll have to evaluate as we get into next week. Best of luck to Kansas and I hope they keep up their great year so far.. I love having extra competition in our conference. We’re on to K-State.
Well… you heard the man. We’re on to Kansas State. Road trip! We’ll see you next week.

Kansas Jayhawks at Connecticut Huskies
Oct 17, 20201ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Kansas Jayhawks (4-3, 2-2)1000010
#6 Connecticut Huskies (7-1, 3-1)73171358
Team Stats Comparison
KUCONN
Total Offense131594
Rushing Yards30305
Passing Yards101289
First Downs724
Punt Return Yards038
Kick Return Yards4618
Total Yards177650
Turnovers31
3rd Down Conversion3-138-15
4th Down Conversion0-00-0
2-Point Conversion0-00-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals1-1-06-4-2
Penalties3-274-44
Possession Time12:5423:06
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGKUCONN
6:38(KU) Shelten 47 FG30
3:50(CONN) Williamson 25 run (McCray kick)37
2:14(KU) Carder 7 pass McGill (Shelten kick)107
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGKUCONN
7:48(CONN) McCray 36 FG1010
5:48(CONN) Williamson 1 run (McCray kick)1017
2:37(CONN) Williamson 1 run (McCray kick)1024
:45(CONN) Jackson 24 pass Ferwerda (McCray kick)1031
:07(CONN) Williamson 2 run (McCray kick)1038
THIRD QUARTER SCORINGKUCONN
7:17(CONN) Parker 5 run (McCray kick)1045
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGKUCONN
5:10(CONN) McCray 23 FG1048
3:11(CONN) McCray 42 FG1055
:15(CONN) Parker 38 run (McCray kick)1058
Kansas Jayhawks
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Mykeese Holley8-174702
Josh Carder6-105410
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Michael McGill7456.40
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Michael McGill5112.21
Jared Peters3258.30
Kay'Sena Holt3258.30
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Adam Jackson15 (1)000
Aaron Thomas10 (1)010
Dan Trese-Moore5 (1) 100
Connecticut Huskies
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Isaac Jackson16-2226511
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Luke Williamson321775.54
Carlton Parker12887.32
Jeff McNeal5346.80
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Derrick Ferwerda46616.51
Kevin Lacey37224.00
Rashad Harris36120.30
Jeff McNeal34214.00
Royce Archie22412.00
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Tim Duchane5 (2)000
Marcus Bradford4 (1)000
James Mandrell4 (4)400

Shavlion Wade. You know what happens next.

Carlton Parker had a great day with the second stringers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundingThird
Kansas has a winning record this late into a season? Well, I guess you could say the same about UConn.
Heh.. very true!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
Your front 7 should have a field day with Kansas' offensive line. They're pretty weak up front. I'm predicting a 35-10 win, with a minimum of 4 sacks by one player

Edit: I just read through the previous two games against Kansas. I totally forgot you made Kurt Warner the OC at Oklahoma State! Where is he now?
Fixed that for ya

That was scary accurate on a few different levels.. but yeah we had a pretty good game on D.. Cox and Wade both picked off Holley, Mandrell had the quarter of his life. I'm disappointed Sam Rourke didn't absolutely abuse that left tackle.. he needed a matchup like that to kickstart his senior year and didn't take advantage.

Warner is still at Okie State.. this is his fourth year. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a head coaching job, honestly, considering that Okie State played in the New Year's Six last year. Maybe he wants to stay for a while longer.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.