View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #67
World1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 2 NBA 2K18 Classic Teams Announced - '96-'97 Miami Heat & '98-'99 New York Knicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'd love to have him on board but I actually think the obsession over his and Charles Barkley's absence is a testament to how well 2K nailed things back in 2K12. There's definitely some Reggie and Chuck fans out there who are dying to be able to play as their favorite players but generally speaking, I think their absence has been such a big deal because they're just about the only modern superstars missing. We yearn for Reggie because we don't have to yearn for, say, Patrick Ewing. We yearn for Charles Barkley because we don't have to yearn for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

I say this lightheartedly but if Chuck and Reggie came on board, sometimes I feel like we'd be happy for a week then come back here to start the petition to acquire the rights to Bernard King and, I dunno, Rod Strickland or something.
I can't really agree with this. This makes it seem more like they are novelty players when really they are two of the greatest players in the history of the NBA and Hall of famers. People want them for that reason.

It's not say, a season specific version of a legend -- e.g. Wizards MJ. Yeah we'd forget about that. Because we have a better version of him, the version that fueled his lore. People want to play as that suns team WITH Charles. That Pacers team WITH Reggie. They want them to be entities in their MyLeague seasons, etc....

It's sorta ridiculous to think people want them because their aren't bigger superstars to want and not because people actually want to play as them.