View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #1234
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

A STAR IS BORN

Redshirt freshman Byers explodes for 136 yards and score when Williamson goes down hurt; Huskies smoke Nebraska 41-13 to book Natty date with Oregon in The Meadowlands

Redshirt freshman tailback J.P. Byers came off the injury list a few weeks ago. He ran for 136 yards as the top tailback after Luke Williamson went down hurt and contributed heavily in the 41-13 blowout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. Byers
I was just feeling it. All game long. Our man went down, and I couldn’t let my play be the reason this team ends its season early. The torn pec.. It hurt to be out for most of the year, but I made up for lost time today.
So often in sports, it is the obscure and the strange who write the stories of legends. Not the star player but the backup, the special teamer, the sixth string wide receiver. When UConn’s star tailback Luke Williamson went down with a lower back injury right before halftime, it was the redshirt freshman J.P. Byers who stepped in and shone. With a dizzying array of jukes, spin moves and bursts of acceleration to go with 136 yards and a touchdown, the Oklahoma native played a key role as UConn punched their ticket to New Jersey for a National Title on January 11.

A four star recruit in the class of 2019, Byers has missed most of his redshirt freshman season after suffering a torn pectoral in mid-September. Byers spent 11 weeks recuperating. He was active against Houston and Oklahoma State in the last couple weeks, but was limited and did not receive any carries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. Byers
I'm grateful for Coach Diaco to give me the opportunity to show I'm healthy again.

In what was expected to be a close game when examined on paper, this year’s Allstate Sugar Bowl was dominated by UConn virtually from start to finish. Despite not accounting for a touchdown all night long, Isaac Jackson was efficient at QB (15 of 18 passing) and committed no turnovers.

On the other side, meanwhile, Nebraska had trouble all game getting their offense going. A gutsy performance from the UConn defense kept Heisman winning running back Andy Merriman to just 93 yards on 19 carries, while forcing the Huskers to play from behind and pass the ball more with Isaac Zazzarion and, briefly, Austin Douglas. Nebraska's normally solid receiving group was only led with a 42 yard performance from Wyatt Osterlund.

Nebraska tacked on the first three points early in the first quarter off the right foot of Brian Tollspen, but UConn countered immediately after with a 98 yard kick return TD from the senior speedster Jeff McNeal to permanently shift momentum.

After a Nebraska three and out, Williamson completed an efficient drive with a 3 yard TD plunge to make the game 14-3, and also break Josh Marriner’s single season touchdown record in the process. Nebraska wouldn’t get any closer. The gap continued to widen into the second quarter after UConn countered a second Tollspen field goal with another Williamson touchdown.

(LEFT) Luke Williamson recorded two TD's before leaving with a lower back injury -- he did, however, break Josh Marriner's single season rushing touchdown record. (RIGHT) Jeff McNeal's 98 yard TD return early in the going gave UConn a lead that they wouldn't relinquish.

At this point, Nebraska had lost Zazzarion for a couple drives as he nursed a tweaked ankle, and after the second Williamson TD the Huskers saw their star backup Douglas break the thumb on his throwing hand, rendering him out for the game.

Zazzarion returned with success at the start of the second half, capitalizing off a UConn holding penalty that negated a Byers first down. UConn punted, and Zazzarion ran in a 16 yard QB keeper to draw the score to 24-13.

(LEFT) Defensive back Claude Fontenot makes a fantastic pass deflection while guarding Kevin Lacey. (CENTER) Wyatt Osterlund makes a diving catch in the first quarter. (RIGHT) Isaac Zazzarion tried hard to get Nebraska back into the game, but to little avail.

Again, however, UConn turned on the jets, just as they have many other times all year long. Tyler McCray's second field goal made the game 27-13, and three plays later UConn put in the dagger. Emerging star corner Sam Barnett beautifully jumped a comeback route intended for Freddie Borrick, and the redshirt sophomore ran the interception all the way back to the house. With a 34-13 lead and the defense having gained all momentum, UConn had effectively locked up the victory before the fourth quarter.

Byers continued his sensational running by tacking on another athletic 23 yard run and then a one yard touchdown plunge, shortly thereafter to give UConn 40 points against one of the top defenses in the nation. UConn ran out the clock in the final minutes of the fourth to seal up the victory.

Sam Barnett recorded a pick six in the third quarter to slam the door on Nebraska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bob Diaco
I'm proud of our guys.. more than they could ever know. J.P. is an incredible kid.. coming back from injury that cost him most of the season, and to do this is just incredible. I don't know what's going on with Luke, how serious it is, if he's going to be out for a while.. we'll see.
I'm confident if we have to run with J.P. next week though. Obviously there's always room for improvement, but we blew out another good team. Coach [Scott] Frost has a great group of kids. We just got the best of them this time.
With the win, UConn now runs their record to 13-1 in the 2020 season and the Huskies will square off against 13-1 Oregon for the National Title. Both sides are playing for their second National Title. The Ducks defeated Georgia Tech by one point in the early game of the playoff semis. The National Title Game will take place on January 11 at MetLife Stadium in The Meadowlands, New Jersey.

Nebraska Cornhuskers at Connecticut Huskies
Jan 1, 20211ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
#3 Nebraska Cornhuskers (11-3)337013
#2 Connecticut Huskies (13-1)141010741
Team Stats Comparison
NEBCONN
Total Offense299392
Rushing Yards186221
Passing Yards113171
First Downs1725
Punt Return Yards633
Kick Return Yards19159
Total Yards324584
Turnovers10
3rd Down Conversion3-11 (27%)6-11 (54%)
4th Down Conversion0-10-0
2-Point Conversion0-00-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals3-1-1 (66%)6-3-2 (83%)
Penalties0-01-15
Possession Time14:0421:56
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGNEBCONN
6:13(NEB) Tollspen 39 FG30
6:00(CONN) McNeal 98 kick return (McCray kick)37
3:45(CONN) Williamson 3 run (McCray kick)314
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGNEBCONN
8:41(NEB) Tollspen 28 FG614
5:01(CONN) Williamson 6 run (McCray kick)621
:00(CONN) McCray 24 FG624
THIRD QUARTER SCORINGNEBCONN
5:14(NEB) Zazzarion 16 run (Tollspen kick)1324
3:12(CONN) McCray 26 FG1327
2:31(CONN) Barnett 41 interception return (McCray kick)1334
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGNEBCONN
4:13(CONN) Byers 1 run (McCray kick)1341
Nebraska Cornhuskers
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Isaac Zazzarion9-1210701
Austin Douglas2-2600
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Andy Merriman19934.80
Isaac Zazzarion17865.01
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Freddie Borrick33511.60
LeShawn Rucker3237.60
Wyatt Osterlund24221.00
DEFENSETACK (TFL)SACKINTTD
LaKendrick Moreau10 (2)200
Terrance Porter9 (2)000
Dallas DeRoach4 (2) 100
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Brian Tollspen2-21-1739
Connecticut Huskies
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Isaac Jackson15-1815300
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
J.P. Byers201366.81
Luke Williamson14745.22
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Royce Archie56613.20
Kevin Lacey3299.60
Derrick Ferwerda22211.00
Rashad Harris2147.00
DEFENSETACK (TFL)SACKINTTD
John Cox13 (2)000
Ross Sinclair8000
Sammie Leonard5 (1)100
Sam Barnett5011
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Tyler McCray2-25-51126

-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBritishGuy
Oregon vs Georgia Tech was a game and a half, just the type of game it should be at that stage of the season!

And onto Nebraska, what a mouth-watering game for UConn! On paper they might just edge it but will be a true test of their highly ranked D. Very interesting matchup between the Hesiman winner and the runner up, let's hope Williamson can have the edge and get one over on Merriman.
Well, Williamson sort of got one up on Merriman!

I was surprised at how one-sided the game turned out. I guess Nebraska may not have been as good as we thought they were but they did run their star less because of the game situation.. down by a lot, need quick scores. We played one of our better games of the season.

Oregon/GA Tech was a fantastic game, I was scared watching it at points hahahaha.. Oregon was running some option stuff and Tech of course runs a ground-heavy, triple option style of offense. Oregon is definitely going to be a tough opponent in the Natty.. check out their roster in a couple of posts and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for dropping in!

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 08-28-2017 at 11:23 AM.